Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New 10 bolt: How to make it last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New 10 bolt: How to make it last?

I have a 98 A4 Z28 with 80xxx miles on it. A year ago I blew out my rearend (car was completely stock) and had planned on selling it soon so I just replaced it with a factory 10bolt rear end. I have decided to keep the car and have run into a lump of cash and decided to mod it. I will be running LT headers, LS6, lid and a TSP magic stick 3 cam. At some point I will be running a 150 shot of N20. I am going to stay away from the drags and probably won't see any good, hard launches. My question is how long will it last if I stick to stomping it from a roll or highway speeds? Is there anything on the market I can get to make it last longer? Perhaps a girdle or something? PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

PS I know a new rearend is inevitable but I am trying to postpone it as long as possible. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

You can get a girdle, aftermarket axles, gears, weld the tubes, and also something important that a lot of people seem to overlook is the suspension setup. A lot of 10 bolts are broke because of wheel hop. Eliminate that as well and you should have a decent setup, for an A4 car.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a dick, but what's the point of doing all those mods if you're not going to run it? You can still break it from a roll, especially if you have a big cam, supporting mods, and N20. I would get a 12-bolt since you're auto and just drive the **** out of it and not worry about the rear. Just my $.02
Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

Like blue said, you can do those things to the rear but a set of relocation brackets, some upgraded control arms and subframe connectors will keep the rear planted and reduce body flex. Beyond that, put some synthetic oil in it and a rear cover with a stud girdle (although the benefits of that are minor) and don't launch it from a stop. Anything after that is not money well spent and you'd be better off going with a stronger rear.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I'd sell the practically new 10 bolt while it is in great condition. You can get $500.00 or so out of it, plus with the $500.00 to $700.00 you would be putting into the 10 bolt to beef it up, you would be on your way to purchasing a stronger 12 bolt or 9 inch rear. Bob