Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much play should my 10 bolt have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much play should my 10 bolt have?

My rear has made noise for over two years now. When I turn left is makes a slight thump. Sometimes when I slow down it makes slight noise. Now that I have all my new found power it makes a loud "clunk" when I come to a rolling stop at about 5 mph. It also will jerk when I let off the gas at about 30 mph and start slowing down. It feels like it catches and then releases over and over. I know it's going down the crapper, I just was curious how much play the rear should have when you turn the tire back and forth. It's up on jack stands now and I can turn it back and forth about 3/4 of an inch before I feel any pressure.

Is exotic performance plus the cheapest place to get me a 9 inch?? I've looked through the sponsors and it's looking that way.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

that's wierd, Im having the same problem right now; my post is like 3 down.

Im thinking its our 10 bolt...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Mine was alright until I added the heads and cam, now it make tons of noise. I recently installed a panhard bar, QA1's, and lower control arms. It might have something to do with mine. I removed my 10 bolt tonight and am going to order my 9" tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine kinda started doing the same since my new full exhaust and header install. Maybe I broke something?? I DUNNO!!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Same problem and I just had gears and new bearings installed and crap... it's STILL making the noise... wtffff
Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

My V6 does that too...it's the Torsen posi unit. Had mine inspected and they said that it's the gears in the posi engaging and disengaging. There is nothing wrong with it, they said it was normal. Mine's been doing it for over 2 years and hasn't gotten worse or caused any problems. There were no metal shavings in the fluid either.

Quick Reply: How much play should my 10 bolt have?