Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Blown Rear End? Yes, NO? Maybe SO???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blown Rear End? Yes, NO? Maybe SO???

Ok! If your rear end is blown will you be able to accelerate normally? or will you only be able to go so fast??? I think I might have blown my rear but I can accelerate just fine! I occasionally hear a loud bang and then a bunch of grinding, but the car responds just fine to the acceleration. Any input would be great! Thanks.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it wouldnt even drive....if it looks up its dead....so i think you need a whole new rear end...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the thing about it is, I accelerate just fine. When I do there is 0 lag. I can hear some sort of grinding but only on the passenger side of the car. I started to think that maybe the caliper locked up and was grinding the brake pad against the rotor. The only thing I cant figure out is why it would "pop"sometimes. It was violent enough to make it feel like the car was going to split into two. I figured that was from the caliper completely locking onto the rotor causing it to "break" off from accelerating. There are no leaks from the pumpkin or any smoke or burning smell. I'm so confused :/
Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

axle bearing?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Turns out there was a screw that somehow got lodged in between the axle and the rotor. Got that sumbitch outa there, replaced rotors and brakes and all is well. Thanks for trying to help out guys!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

phan the rear brakes have that screw that holds the rotor on?i think i have ur same problem
Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

There are two screws that hold the caliper to the mounting bracket, there are two screws that hold the braket onto the rear end, and there are 4 screws right behind the rotor that hold on a "shield" for the e-brake. One of thise four screws backed itself out and flopped right into the rotor. Needless to say the wheel won the fight.

It sounded really, really bad, but my car would move with no problems. It sounded like some kind of grinding so I figured the rear end would not make that kind of noise. I could only hear the noise on the passenger side when I drove so I figured if it was a rear end problem it would be loud enough to hear on both sides.