Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

confussed no weather to build a rearend/7.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default confussed no weather to build a rearend/7.5

I think I need a stronger rearend don't want to gernade my stock diff. I do have the richmond ring & pinion / almost new GM axels.

confussed on weather to build a stronge rearend/stock houseing use maybe a Eaton or alburn locker stlye carrier ?1 will the stock axels be stronge enought for 390 rwhp 400 rwtc. if no then can I get some higher # of slined axels to fit in stock rearend housing?

I'm thinking this will be more cost effective than just ploping big money down on an allready made. my first chocie ford 9" /eaton posi. I like this type because it will not even require a upgraded rear surport cover an it also is litter right?

I'm thinking I don't like the looks of ARP w extra long wheel studs thats associated /higher # of splined axels. that's anohther reason to use stock not to mention I still have ABS/TCS.

I do have a friend that will setup the rearend carrier

Lastly the just / I would never have to remove the rearend just axels & carrier ?right?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-09-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no real way to know if your rear will hold or not, depends mostly if you drag race the car with sticky tires. There is a member with the signature of GM Muscle who runs in the 10's on slicks with no problem with his stock rear. I believe that the stock tires will break loose and not grip the road instead of breaking the rear. Generaly stock rears are quiet which I like. I sometimes go to the track with my buddys on friday nights and race but not on slicks so I have no need to upgrade on a 350 HP car, but I kept my eyes open for a member selling his stock rear and just picked up as a spare incase i do ever break mine, itls like a $150 insurance policy I guess. I hear aftermarket 12 bolts and 9" rears are around $2500, can whine, draw HP from the drive train, ABS/TCS is sometimes an issue, I dont know... The only real way to strengthen the car is to just bite the bullet and go aftermarket but until I have a problem Im stickin with stock. Some members will tell you they went through 5-6 rears even more, than again, thsee are also the same guys who fry a $1,000 clutch in 2000 miles though so I dont know. In my opinion, buy a girdle an keep your eyes open for a spare, save your money for more important things, but thats just me, every time I go nuts saving for something I buy it and say, jeez, I spent how much on what? So to answer your question its a gamble, investing in a stock rear is not a wise choice, because there is stress on so many points, small gears, small carrier, 28 spline stock axles, small bearings, small housing... you could wind up spending a lot of money and it just snaping anyway. If you drag the car with slicks, I suggest you go aftermarket. If you drive the car around town and occasionaly beat on it and lay down some rubber, just leave it alone. thats just my opinion but I believe it is shared by many.

Last edited by alamantia; 06-09-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um, what?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The big problem with the 10 bolt is the 7.5" ring gear and corresponding pinion gear. Even if you "beef up" the axles, get a TA style cover, and a stronger type limited slip, you just can't make a 7.5" gear any bigger/stronger..

If you plan on racing, driving it hard, etc, you should really consider a 12 bolt/9"/S60 rear...I have a Strange 12 bolt and love it...Its a little $$$ at first, but its good piece of mind...What good is all that power if you can't use it...?

--Alan