Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

install 4.10s on jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default install 4.10s on jackstands?

Okay, here's the deal - finally got all the stuff for the gear swap, and want to attempt the swap myself. I have access to a dial indicator w/ magnetic base, and can get the car up on jackstands pretty high.

The only thing I am concerned with is not being able to torque down the pinion nut enough. I have a breaker bar ratchet with a 3' long pipe which can give a whole crapload of torque.

Will I have enough space to swing it? Also, how did you guys hold the pinion still (no air tools) - jam the yolk against the car?

Should I pay someone to do this? Not to toot my own horn, but I am very mechanically inclined and not afraid to endure pain, lol.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically you can do this on jackstands...what a huge pain in the rear it would be, though. Not just torquing the pinion nut, but also you don't have much room to swing when you are removing/installing bearing races. I would see about either renting a lift, or paying someone else to do it...
Old 06-18-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, I had a feeling you would say that. I'm pretty near cartek, maybe I'll try them. I just hope they won't bend me over when it comes to cost.

Thanks for your help btw, and saw you sold the car....lol. nice catfish you got there.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to toot my own horn, but I am very mechanically inclined and not afraid to endure pain, lol.
Then you can do it. I've done several on jack stands.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Then you can do it. I've done several on jack stands.
I bet that made for a sore back/shoulders the next day
Old 06-18-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

haha, nice, thanks for all the input guys/gals. I'll tell you all how it goes. hopefully july 4th weekend I can get it sorted out!