Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP! another rear whine question, need to know the causes of this

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! another rear whine question, need to know the causes of this

ok, so lately (about a month or two) something from the rear of the car has this high pitched, annoying whine, and it gets louder when the speed increases, below 40mph its fairly quiet, but anything above that it just gets louder and louder, and if i have my windows down, and drive next to wall, you can hear the noise rebounding off the wall, and its annoying.

here are some ideas i have

i installed a racetronix fuel pump, maybe its the pump? but why would it get louder when speed increases?

my rear seems to be quite off-centered, the left wheel sticks out farther than the right, could this bad alignment cause the driveshaft to enter the diff. crooked and cause a whine? (i personally think this is the reason)

my father replaced my pinion seal about 2 or 3 months ago, and yes, he knows what hes doing, hes done it quite often before. i thought maybe he didnt set the backlash correct or something, and i double checked with him, and he stands by his work, and says he did indeed do everything correctly. i know most of you will say this is the cause, but i dont know.

anything else i could think of, or read about, maybe something to do with the wheels, a wheel bearing, or a tranny/tq arm mount, ive heard it amplifies the whine.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pinion bearings..... and I dont think Dad was paying attention to the used bearing 'pre-load' that is required when doing a pinion seal. It is critical to get this right and many dont pay attention to it as much as they should. But it is a very common event after doing a pinion seal. It happends.... Ive done it too..... and destroyed some bearing in my early days.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, ill talk to him again, and look into that... any idea on how much those cost?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say about $40-45 for TIMKEN bearings and about another $15 or so for a new crush sleeve and pinion nut.