Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help please ! Stuck Pinion 8-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help please ! Stuck Pinion 8-(

Hey guys, I need some help here. I've got a bad front pinion bearing, about .010 radial play in it. When I turn it by hand you can hear it rattle. Not good Anyway, I can't get the pinion out. Took the nut off, but the pinion is stuck in the bearing.

Anyone else experience this ? How did you get it out ? I've already beat the crap out of it with a BFH with a 4x4 on the pinion threads - no go.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Also, anyone have any ideas why a front pinion bearing would go after 500 miles ?

Thanks in advance for any advice !

Tim
Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps the bearing was doomed from the start (who made it?)

Or the preload may have not been set up correctly. Not enough fluid, etc. Lots of possibilities.

The pinion will be wedged in there pretty good. Are you reusing the pinion itself? If so please put the pinion nut on a few turns so that you don't mushroom the end of the pinion. If you're not reusing the pinion, then don't worry about it.

Other than that, just put some *** into it and give it a few good swings. C'mon if I can get them loose then you can too
Old 06-23-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 1" by 1" by 12" aluminum drift and a mini sledge.

And incorrect pinion preload is the major cause of this.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

You're not re-using the pinion, if it's not coming out the bearing has spun and welded itself on the pinion.

I've used bearing pullers or basically any puller that you can bolt a chain to, wrap the chain around the pumpkin and push the pinion out.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses.

I thought about the pinion spinning in the bearing, but that sure does seem unlikely. With too much preload, it would seem almost impossible, and with too little, it would seem more likely that the bearing would just turn.

It was a new bearing, and I used a solid pinion spacer with 20 in-lbs of torque to turn the pinion.

Also, doesn't seem to have any discoloration, which I am used to seeing in a spun bearing or low lube type condition.

What do you guys recommend for pinion preload ?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

I had a pinion bearing sieze for a second, felt like the brakes were tapped. I had the car towed home even though I could still drive it ok. That second of time it spun on the shaft was enough to ruin the gear. And I tapped it right out of the bearing.