Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help pick a rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help pick a rear

i've read through the rear faq. I'm looking into a moser 12 bolt because my stock rear is a one wheel wonder now. i just want a basic rear...i drag race once every six months maybe and only do 4 or 5 passes on street tires and i don't launch agressively. i just looking for something basic, that won't break. i know i was 4.10s bcause my car is mostly stock..only a catback and a lid and won't see much more. so what options do i need for the 2 bolt? whats the differences between a spool and truetrac? i want to keep my abs and my car does have traction control..its not something i need to keep. cost is also a factor cause this is going on a credit card..so the cheaper the better, but i don't want to do it again. i don't think i need 33 spline axles because i never use slicks and don't race that much. so, help me please
Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

ive got a moser 12bolt and love it. i got 31 spline and truetrac. true trac is a posi, spool is a locked rear end. i was going to get a spool but heard the nightmares with spools in the rain. spool is like $200 cheaper than the truetrac. all you need is 31 spline. get the upgraded cover though, the chrome cover leaks.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about a moser 9 inch..i jsut priced one of those out and for the same thing as a 12 bolt..its 200 cheaper. I'm not concerned about the power loss from it because of the extra strenght that you get from it.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

9 inch is a beast, but it wont break. some guys have problems snapping torque arms, and some aftermarket arms dont fit. i dont know much more about the 9 inch but if u call moser they will answer all your questions and tell you what to expect from each rear.