Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Unknown Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown Problem

Figured I'd post up again to get people's opinion before actually taking the time to examine the car. I had 3.73 gears installed on my 98 Z28 Auto. They said the backlash is perfect when I had a local college set it up. I am thinking I have a bad transmission mount or motor mount. Basically I get a "clunk" when I put the car into gear and I have a shift kit installed... Normal driving from like 1st to 2nd gear it bangs kind of hard and this problem shows more often. If I cycle from reverse to drive setting still and don't have my foot really hard on the brake, it thuds and seems something in the drivetrain is not right. A lot of my friends said it seems like a bad transmission mount... What are the symptoms of this, anyone know? Let me know, I kind of wanted to know for sure before getting under the car and checking it out for more detail.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmmm bad tranny mount, yep sounds about right! usually they bang when going into gear, and especially on the 1-2 shift, lke someone hitting your floorboards with a hammer is what it sounds like when u stomp on it, Id go ahead and replace it, very easy job and parts are cheap, you might even want to go urethane instead of the OEM rubber mount