Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rubbing/Howl noise from rear??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rubbing/Howl noise from rear??

Noticed more and more lately (probably because i dont drive it everyday anymore) that I have a "whur whur whur"/howl/rubbing kind of noise coming from the rearend. If the clutch is engaged I dont have the noise im guessing because the rear isnt underload?? As I go faster the whur sound gets faster until its more of a droneing noise. Is this ring and pinion problems or something a friend who is a mustang guy said thats what it sounds like to him. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, did a search but didnt find anything that helps me. Doing my MS3 install next weekend and if its something like just changing fluid i can knock that out while its on the lift.

TIA
Old 04-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SupermanSS
Noticed more and more lately (probably because i dont drive it everyday anymore) that I have a "whur whur whur"/howl/rubbing kind of noise coming from the rearend. If the clutch is engaged I dont have the noise im guessing because the rear isnt underload?? As I go faster the whur sound gets faster until its more of a droneing noise. Is this ring and pinion problems or something a friend who is a mustang guy said thats what it sounds like to him. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, did a search but didnt find anything that helps me. Doing my MS3 install next weekend and if its something like just changing fluid i can knock that out while its on the lift.

TIA
If you don't have a vibration along with the noise it may be rear end or axle bearings
Old 04-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

look at how much space you have bettween your front fender well on each side.. when i bent the crap out of my stock 10 bolt mine made teh same noise.. it was rubbing on the front. i had about 2 inchs of clearanc eon the drivers side and about 6 in on the other side.. may want to check that out.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Launching!

No vibration at all. Ill check the fender wells. Could it be the gears are worn out, car has 80k on it and has probably had maybe 30 bottles or so run through it.