Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

BMR Torque Arm Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BMR Torque Arm Question

I just had a BMR Adjustable Torque Arm installed along with a Moser 12-bolt. I can hear/feel a sort of vibrating noise when I get on it (not present when just cruising lightly or coasting, and it doesn't sound like the end of the world, but it is there none-the-less), very hard to describe unfortunately, and I'm trying to find out what it could be and if I should be ok at the track tomorrow.

I was told by a friend that you have to cut the top of the BMR torque arm if you have a Moser because it will hit a back seat bolt if you don't, but I know it definitely wasn't cut. The guy who installed it (well known shop) told me it is the stock torque arms that need to be cut, not this one, but my friend insists it needs to.

If you do need to get it cut, will this be a problem I should worry about at the track tomorrow or should I be ok? Other ideas as to the noise? (sorry I didn't give much to go by)
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to clarify, on Moser rears the 1st set of bolt holes has to be cut, otherwise the tq arm pushes out too far, hits the seat belt bolt and throws the geometry of the rear off. My BMR tq was damaged due to it not being cut initally.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the car up in the air, supported by the tires. That way you can see if anything is in the way. Sometimes the seatbelt bolt is in the way, other times the bolts going through the torque arm are the culprit, and need to be removed and installed from the other side. Bob
Old 05-26-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a Moser 12 bolt with a BMR adjustable torque arm and I didn't have to cut anything. Never heard of this.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Teching In

you might be getting a vibration from your pinion angle being too much positive. I set mine at -2 degrease and got rid of my problem...
Old 05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
to clarify, on Moser rears the 1st set of bolt holes has to be cut, otherwise the tq arm pushes out too far, hits the seat belt bolt and throws the geometry of the rear off. My BMR tq was damaged due to it not being cut initally.
i wish i knew this when i had my umi tq arm installed.... im back to stock and happier than ever.... i will never run a aftermarket tq arm again..
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99zman
i wish i knew this when i had my umi tq arm installed.... im back to stock and happier than ever.... i will never run a aftermarket tq arm again..
I wouldn't give up on them so quickly. They can be a great traction aid.
I just got my Strange 12 bolt installed and I have mine on the first set of holes on my BMR adjustable TA. I don't have the rear seats in and everything looks great as far as tunnel clearance.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs down

The factory torque arms bend fairly easy about six inches ahead of the rear. I'd keep an eye on it. Bob