Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installed TA Performance rear cover and stud kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed TA Performance rear cover and stud kit

It was a fairly easy install. First after I took the cover off and let the fluid drain. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner, and carb cleaner, grabbed a rag and soaked the rest of the gear oil out, then sprayed it down again. Next I grabbed a razor blade scraped the gasket off and then grabbed some scotch brite and went over the housing to make sure its completely smooth. There was some rust around the edges which the scotch brite took care of. Next the stud kit which was simple to do. I did one at a time, used red loctite and torqued them down the spec. 10ftlbs on the studs, and 65ftlbs on the nuts. After that I used red RTV and placed a bead around the cover and the bolt holes, and placed the gasket on the cover. Now it was time to install the cover on the housing. I had a buddy put the bolts through the cover while I lined it up, and also put some red loctite on the cover bolts as well. After we had the cover bolts torqued down to 25ftlbs we torqued the bearing cap bolts on the center of the cover to 5ftlbs and snugged the jam nuts. Instead of using Teflon tape I used liquid sealant on the drain and fill plugs. Much easier to use and it is basically the same as Teflon tape just in a liquid form. The same company as loctite makes it, in a white bottle, and can be found at any parts store. Before I put in the Royal Purple gear oil, I let the car sit for about an hour so all the liquid sealants could dry. I put the oil in through the factory fill plug, took 2 quarts, and closed it back up. It was now done and when I went for a ride afterwards the rear was dead quiet. I did have a low howl/wine on the highway and it is now gone after the install. I think the cover was a nice upgrade and looks great from behind the car. I cant afford a 12 bolt so this will have to do for now.

I purchased this cover from Driveline Solutions, one of the sponsors on this forum. I also used instructions from Install University.com and TA Performance.com to get the torque specs. Install University does not install the stud kit in there write up so you will have to go to TA Performance for the stud kit specs. I know this is a simple install and anyone could do it but I just felt like posting it anyway so someone can find all the answers in one post. Good luck
Old 06-09-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Hey anybody else running these covers on their 10 bolt rear ends? Saw them and looked nice. Do they actually help anything or is it strictly just an appearance mod? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokin2001formula
Hey anybody else running these covers on their 10 bolt rear ends? Saw them and looked nice. Do they actually help anything or is it strictly just an appearance mod? Thanks.
Not only do they look good, but they hold more fluid in your rear, and they will lower the operating temperature of your rear to about 15 degrees less. The load bolts are to strengthen the rear by holding more pressure down on the bearing caps, and the stud kit is also a better replacement over the factory bolts.

Quick Reply: Installed TA Performance rear cover and stud kit