Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Choosing which brand to go with for 3.73s

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choosing which brand to go with for 3.73s

So, the choices are Motive, Strange, Richmond, and GM from what Ive gathered. They all have good reputations so I guess Im looking for the least noisy. Ive heard stories of some bad gear whining, but I know that can also be attributed to the install. Anyway, I just thought Id hear some opinions and suggestions. I have a 2 series carrier on my 02 z28 and I will be getting gears very soon. Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The 2 series carrier eliminates GM gears unless you use a spacer or change carriers. I would choose Motives at that point.
Also, do a search, gear preference has been covered 1000 times.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like my motives....ive ridden in richmond cars....their pretty loud
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

do ur motives make much noise?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

not really.....i mean all aftermarket gears are going to make some noise....mine do between 50-60 WITHOUT load on them....but thats about it
Old 07-01-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have some Richmonds. They make some noise but if I was to do it again I would get a GM gear. It was my first gear swap so that might have something to do with the noise but I pulled the rear apart 3 times adjusting things to only have the same noise I started with. I moved the pinnion all over the place and had an experienced rear builder help on the 3rd go around.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by staringback05
...i mean all aftermarket gears are going to make some noise....
That statement in itself, is a gross exaggeration and pretty much is just a simplified opinion/personal generalization... and not at all true.

My choice would be in the following order:

USGear/Strange
AAM (OE GM)
Motive

And yes, it has more to do with the installation than most think possible.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GM ... because of the high nickel content which makes them harder and more durable ... set up right, they're not gonna' make a lot of moise.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Only ridden in cars with Richmonds and Motives....Richmonds are a little noisy...I've never heard much complaint about noise from Motives
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Go with Motives...but as already mentioned you can find many threads on this very same subject.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

well, is it true that gm doesnt make 3.73 gears for the 2 series carrier?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chicane
That statement in itself, is a gross exaggeration and pretty much is just a simplified opinion/personal generalization... and not at all true.
yes, because you know what cars ive ridden in, how many gear changes ive done, and what god has for lunch....

aftermarket gears make noise...from aam to richmond...

hmm my motives dont sound like the stockers, my cousins richmonds SURE as hell dont sound stock, and my friends oem upgrade replacements dont even sound stock....but all those dont count....right?...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

now the question is....what kind of differential do i have? i know there are 2 or 3 right? (limited slip, auburn, etc..)
Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
14 Second Truck Club

yes, because you know what cars ive ridden in, how many gear changes ive done, and what god has for lunch....

hmm my motives dont sound like the stockers, my cousins richmonds SURE as hell dont sound stock, and my friends oem upgrade replacements dont even sound stock....but all those dont count....right?...
First, AAM is not an aftermarket gear- they manufacture for GM, they are the OEM gears.
Second, I have Motive 3.90's in my car. With the windows up and the radio off there is no noise at all. From 90 to 0, coast and drive side are both quiet. To say that all aftermarket gears are noisy is completely false. If you were to say that a Richmond was more likely to make noise then many people would agree, but if you take your time with a US gear, Precision or Motive they will most likely be quiet- unless you just get a bad set.

Also, GM/AAM does NOT make a 2 series 3.73 like I said before so that is not a choice for the original poster. GM does it the proper way and uses a 3 series carrier because that is the way it was designed by them. Not that a thick gear is totally bad, but if you are building new rears you are going to do it the right way.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

when i said aam that was at one end of the spectrum...if you change gears in your car regardless if its oem or not...its a change....

also, i didnt say they were all NOISEY....i said they make noise over stock, read my post clearer
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

once again, how will i know what kind of differential i have?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 AM
14 Second Truck Club

when i said aam that was at one end of the spectrum...if you change gears in your car regardless if its oem or not...its a change....

also, i didnt say they were all NOISEY....i said they make noise over stock, read my post clearer
You are still making a generalization that is completely false. I have set up too many gears to count and worked for an aftermarket gear supplier, noise is not a given. Trying to say "read your post clearer" doesnt change what you said. You can set up an aftermarket 4.10 to make no noise at all- period. It will sound just like it did stock except for the extra engine RPM, and with a quiet exhaust you might not even notice that.
Like I said previous- My car has Motive 3.90's in it that are dead silent- NO NOISE AT ALL. Over 90% of the time it is in the set up. I know guys who would retail sell gears and have the customer complain of noise, then get them back in the shop and correct the install.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Raise
once again, how will i know what kind of differential i have?
You would have to look at it. Take off the rear cover- if it has a round pin going into the diff case and has springs going across in the center it is most likely an Auburn, if it has a block looking thing held in by a screw and has no springs and all gears it is a Torsen.
You could jack up the rear and put the car in neutral. If you turn on tire by hand and the other goes the opposite way you have a Torsen, an open rear(highly unlikely) or a really bad Clutch/Cone unit(also unlikely). If they turn the same way it will be an Auburn most likely, but could be an Eaton if someone was in it already.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

my car was stock when i bought it with only 5k miles on it. isnt there a code inside the drivers side door that will tell me what kind of differential i have?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No... but since you have made yourself out to be an asshat. I guess they dont. Your cousin's Richmonds were destined to make noise... especially if he got them set up from the same guy that did your Motives... and your friends differentials for that matter.

Gee. I dont know... maybe out of the near ten thousand differentials that I have built (READ: not had them built), might give me a little more insight. Ya think ??

Aftermarket gear sets have no more possibility or any greater chance of making noise over that of an OEM gear set... if set-up correctly.

Maybe the cars you have riden in, the gear changes you "had done" (but not actually performed yourself) and what God tasted when he burped... were because of the guy screwing them together... and/or serving lunch at the same time. The majority of all gear noise is a root cause from installation and set-up issues. But you know that all ready... yet you dont count that in your speculative meandering. Do you ??

If a gear set is set up correctly... they dont sound any different than the OEM set you would pull out of it. If you "set them up" and they make noise... maybe you should really think about not giving up your day job.

In all seriousness tho... there are too many variables in the equation to simply blame noise on an aftermarket gear set.