Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tourque Spec for the differential yoke.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tourque Spec for the differential yoke.

Guys I had to take out the yoke from the differential because one of the bolts of the driveshaft had broken inside. I kind of oversaw that you have to find first, how much the Yoke nut in the middle is torque to, and then take it off. Can you please let me know to how much will this nut should be torque to?? When I took it off it came of pretty easy so I would say that is was not more than 50lbs.. Please any help is appreciated.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this similar question a few weeks ago. I did a little research and found that there isn't a specific torque rating on the nut. The nut is simply there to pre-load the pinion bearings. The spec is actually measured by drag on the pinion and pinion bearings. This spec is around 8-12 inch/lbs since your just pulling off the yoke and not installing new bearings and what not to get that bolt out. Since you probably do not have the tool to measure this I would do this simply by feel. when you get the drive shaft off spin the yoke by hand for a while and get a feel for how hard the yoke is to turn. When your ready to put the yoke back on simply tighten the nut til you get the same amount of pre-load again. Be very careful when tightening down the nut i would suggest doing it slowly to keep from over crushing the crush sleeve. If you over crush the sleeve your preload will be to high. Since the sleeve is already pre-crushed it should be easy to snug it up to the proper amount. Just make sure the yoke is seated fully.