Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt center for ford 9" housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strange 12 bolt center for ford 9" housing

Has anyone had experience with this? I saw it listed on the Strange website. Has the benefit of removable center section and the added efficiency of the 12 bolt ring and pinion.
http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

listed in 9" components # 75
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about this housing. It certainly looks as if they intend it to be for a drag race only setup..but ten again they list it as accepting posi units so I dunno. Perhaps someone out there has used it.

It seems to me the positives are:

Removable center section making gear swaps quicker
Lower power consumption of the 12 bolt design.
Larger differential side bearings.
The (slightly) smaller, more efficient 12 bolt r & p setup without the case spreading tendencies of a rear-loading housing.

The negatives are of debatable relevance as far as most F-bodes go. The higher your power level, the higher the relevance:

Requires a 12 bolt differential, smaller and weaker than a 9". A few less options too.
Giving up the increased strength of the 9" pinion setup.
Aluminum version of a 12 bolt housing would tend to be less rigid than iron.
Aluminum center section providing a somewhat less consistent gear mesh over the temperature range.

I could forsee some of these negatives and positives countering each other. For example, the decreased rigidity of the aluminum countering the lack of case spreading as would be seen in a normal 12 bolt.

Last edited by Awake455; 11-23-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: I'm a non-typing goober
Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
Requires a 12 bolt differential, smaller and weaker than a 9". A few less options too.
http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/075.html
The 12-bolt drop-out was created by Strange in 1994 and has been relied on by leading Competition Eliminator cars.
The 12-bolt drop-out is offered in two case bore sizes- 3.0625” and 3.250”- both cases fit 9” housings (Some factory
housings require modification)
. Strange’s 3.0625” bore case accepts factory posi-units and Strange 30 and 33-spline
12-bolt spools. The 3.250” case accepts specially designed 35 & 40-spline ultra light spools.
The 12-bolt drop-out case is designed for the racer seeking the least amount of weight and where lower E.T. is
crucial. The 12-bolt pinion is closer to the the center of the ring gear, in comparison to a 9”gear, making the 12-bolt
3% more efficient than a 9” rear ( 9” pinion is 2.250” below the center of the ring gear; compared to a 1.50” drop for
our 12-bolt). Besides being more efficient, the fully assembled unit is 8-9 pounds lighter than a comparable
aluminum 9”assembly.
For years, racers have spent small fortunes in acquiring aluminum, titanium, and magnesium components. The 12-
bolt drop-out recovers horsepower, as well as being extremely light and at the same cost as conventional Strange 9”
components.
Looks like its a 9 inch center section modified to work with the lighter 12 bolt R&P/components. From what I read on that page this requires a 9 inch housing, factory or aftermarket will work with the factory stuff need a bit of modification.

interesting...
Old 11-23-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, it requires a 9" HOUSING, but a 12 bolt DIFFERENTIAL. Big difference.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Launching!

It is the center section (chunk). It uses a gm 12 bolt gear. It has less drag. If you are building a serious Rear 9" I would go this route
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not worth it.... I dont why people are so hung up on drag or horsepower loss or its a street cat reliability and price should come first....

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt center for ford 9" housing