Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4channel to 3channel conversion 12bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4channel to 3channel conversion 12bolt question

I got a question for you guys: Can you take a 3 channel rear and install it in a 4channel car, by just pressing the reluctor wheels on the axels? I am going from a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt and I can use my old axels. However, if I can just press the reluctors on, where can I purchase some?

I read the FAQ and found these:

15. What's the difference between a 3 channel and 4 channel rear?

A three channel rear end has ABS. A 4 channel rear end has ABS and traction control. A 'channel' is just a way of describing the means for a speed sensor to gauge the wheel speed. On a 3 channel rear end, the two front wheels have sensors, and there is one sensor on top of the rear end housing that reads for the whole rear. On a 4 channel rear end, there is a speed sensor at every wheel. 4 channel rear ends have reluctor wheels on each axle, 3 channel rears have one big reluctor ring on the differential. Because a 4 channel has a sensor at each rear wheel it can see the difference in speed between one wheel and the other, and ta-da, you have traction control.

16. Will a 3 channel rear end work in my 4 channel car?

Yes, you can make it work, if you put the axles from your four channel car into the 3 channel rear end and install the sensors into the backing plate. To put a 4 series into a 3 series would be more difficult, because it would require you to drill in the top of the rear housing for the sensor, and add a reluctor ring to the carrier as well.

17. Can't I just edit ASR/ABS out of the PCM with tuning software?

The answer is no, because the PCM does not control these functions. They are regulated by the EBCM (electronic brake control module) which is attached to the ABS pump. So if you attempt to swap the wrong rear into your car and don't hook it up right, the dash lights will illuminate...unless you pull the bulbs, or put electrical tape over the lights. The EBCM will kill the dash lights when everything passes.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

look at the stickys on the top of the page will answer all your questions and then some.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can just use the reluctor wheels, get them used off of the board or new from the dealership/Moser. You will also want the 4 chan backing plates (has provision for sensor) and the traction control sensors.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Thank you guys for all the help, that def. answered my question!

Quick Reply: 4channel to 3channel conversion 12bolt question