Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Q on Torque values and washer size

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q on Torque values and washer size

Hi, The 2 heads of the bolts, same side. That hold the Torsen spyder to the main ring gear mount across from one another. 2 of the heads snapped off during a wheel hop next to one another. Took the carrier out & got the remaining shaft of the bolts out. Replacement bolts, bought all 4 to replace. #8's Have no built in washer. Torque values? And should I get thicker, wider washers. Makes a diffrence or not? I'm going to use Loc-tight on the threads. Going to use thin plain flat washers 1/8th & should I use lock washers along with the flat type? Bought new bearings, Timkin. Re-use the spacers. No damage I can see on the teeth on the ring, spyders,ect. Did see a lot of metal flecs on the magnet. I power washed the carrier & got out a whole lot of flecs. Hmm. Thought if I use grease to look at the gearing meet face, I can see how they meet again. My thoughts is if I bought new bearings. Should match up with the original settings. I've read on putting in new gears, driving it sets up the hardness & once set, your living with it. If new bearings & clean it up. Would it not be set at the original setings? And what caused the heads to snap off? Dave

Last edited by locodave46; 12-16-2007 at 04:00 AM.