Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New gear install - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New gear install - some questions

Have some issues with my 3.42. Car is an A4, and I bought a used axle, and think I have some issues with it. Pinion is real hard to turn by hand, and not smooth, at one point having more friction. Car doesn't seem like it want to go, at anything above 60, seems like it just wants to slow down

Went on a few hour trip, and the fluid seemed to have burnt, because it STUNK.

Long story short, I think the bearings are shot, and if I have to do bearings, might as well go up to the gear ratio I wanted in the long run.

Bought a new set of 3.73's and install kit from Jawsgear.

(Thanks to Jawsgear, great prices and had them here in two days....Thanks!)

Going to do the install next week.

The 3.73's are AAM, and come with a spec sheet for setting backlash at .004. The GM manual says .005-.009. Many here set to .006. Any updates on what is best?

Also, where do you measure backlash. I'm assuming it has to be on the outermost portion of the ring teeth.

Any cheap and dirty ways to set pinion depth? I'll mic up the old shim and start from there, but want to know the proper procedure.

Finally,
Another word of thanks to Keliente........No way I'd be trying this without such an excellent write-up
Old 12-22-2007, 12:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Have some issues with my 3.42. Car is an A4, and I bought a used axle, and think I have some issues with it. Pinion is real hard to turn by hand, and not smooth, at one point having more friction. Car doesn't seem like it want to go, at anything above 60, seems like it just wants to slow down

Went on a few hour trip, and the fluid seemed to have burnt, because it STUNK.

Long story short, I think the bearings are shot, and if I have to do bearings, might as well go up to the gear ratio I wanted in the long run.

Bought a new set of 3.73's and install kit from Jawsgear.

(Thanks to Jawsgear, great prices and had them here in two days....Thanks!)

Going to do the install next week.

The 3.73's are AAM, and come with a spec sheet for setting backlash at .004. The GM manual says .005-.009. Many here set to .006. Any updates on what is best?

Also, where do you measure backlash. I'm assuming it has to be on the outermost portion of the ring teeth.

Any cheap and dirty ways to set pinion depth? I'll mic up the old shim and start from there, but want to know the proper procedure.

Finally,
Another word of thanks to Keliente........No way I'd be trying this without such an excellent write-up

First, glad we could help you on the gears.
Second, as far as the setup I would do the following: Use the stock size shim for the pinion since you are putting an OEM gear back in. When you pull the old bearing off the pinion shaft there will be a depth shim with a number stamped on the inner portion of the shim. If no stamp use a set of calipers and measure. I would then take that size shim and put it on the new pinion shaft and press the pinion bearing on. You want to set the backlash between .003 to .006 with the OEM gear. Never mind what your spec sheet states it is for aftermarket gears only and older OEM "5 Step" gears. You measure the backlash as the amount of play between the ring gear and pinion gear using a dial indicator. Any questions let me know.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response.

That's why I buy from forum vendors. Not only do you offer great prices, but your active forum members and help out whenever needed.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Thanks for the response.

That's why I buy from forum vendors. Not only do you offer great prices, but your active forum members and help out whenever needed.
No problem, glad we could help.