Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

called Strange on the dana 60, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation called Strange on the dana 60, WTF?

So, did I get a newbie or something? They said they dont make the dana 60 for the 93-97 brakes, I have to upgrade to the 98+ style, or pay 250 for LT1 brake plates. I have never heard of this, I thought they came ready for the LT1 system?? How did you all order yours?
Also, they said the power lok is discontinued, but the tru track will take its place for the same price... so that is cool.

So, those of you with the 93-97 f-bodies, what was the part number you ordered for the housing and brake setup? Did you have to install the newer brakes on it? Or did you get raped another 250 for LT1 backing plates??

also, about the drivshafts, they said the new yoke was not included?? Are you serious?
which drive shafts did you get?

Strange U1699 driveshaft 3"x.083" DOM chrome moly driveshaft with H.D. U-joints

Strange U1700 driveshaft 3"x.083" Seamless chrome moly driveshaft with High Imp. U-Joints

Strange U1702driveshaft 3"x.083" Seamless DOM chrome moly driveshaft with H.D. U-joints

what is the difference between the last two besides roughly 30 dollars?

I thought I had all this figured out, but it seems like this could get nickel and dimey in a hurry... lol

I seem to be getting the run around, so I want to know what is going on before I commit to any GP's...

Thanks for any and all help here!

Cody
Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the S60 I don't know about the brakes, sounds weird to me.

As far as the drive shafts, DOM is good for a street car, if you're gonna do a lot of drag launches on it you can run the c-moly shaft with heavy duty joints.

High impact joints are the same size 1350 but they don't have holes drilled down the middle to grease them, they are solid and you grease them by removing the caps.

They would be for a drag only car, you could use them on a car driven on the street, but you'll have to occasionally remove them to regreasing them, how often I am not sure I know some u-joints can go a few years without regreasing them.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so with the driveshaft I would want the chrome moly, with the greasable ujoints which tanslates into wanting the Strange U1702driveshaft 3"x.083" Seamless DOM chrome moly driveshaft with H.D. U-joints
Ok, well that helps with the driveshaft....

Still a bit perplexed on the rear itself. I have NEVER heard of needing to pay more for LT1 brakes, only the LS1 setup.

I hope someone with this on their LT1 car can tell me what they experienced...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

i guess this is LS1 tech, huh? haha. Just thought maybe someone would know about the LT1 brake setup. I know lots about ls1's... I hope someone can help me here...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

huh?????

Strange's site has the description for the entire assy for your own eyes. it says 93-97 brakes brackets included, or will install your 98-02 brake brackets.

www.strangeengineering.net

there's a link for the f-body rearend right on the home page.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ssvert99
huh?????

Strange's site has the description for the entire assy for your own eyes. it says 93-97 brakes brackets included, or will install your 98-02 brake brackets.

www.strangeengineering.net

there's a link for the f-body rearend right on the home page.
THANK YOU! I know, and that is what I always thought... and now their website proves it. Wow, I really got a tool when I called strange. I wish I would have gotten his name...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better to ask a bunch of questions and makes sure even if it is repetitive, annoying or anything else, if you're dropping 2,000+ on a rear end I sure as hell want to make sure I am doing it right the first time especially when that much money is involved.

I mean you're not ordering a 100.00 air lid LOL. There is no sending a built rear end back, you buy it you better like it or have money to change what you don't like.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
Better to ask a bunch of questions and makes sure even if it is repetitive, annoying or anything else, if you're dropping 2,000+ on a rear end I sure as hell want to make sure I am doing it right the first time especially when that much money is involved.

I mean you're not ordering a 100.00 air lid LOL. There is no sending a built rear end back, you buy it you better like it or have money to change what you don't like.
yes, this is alot of money... at least to me! I shouldn't be spending this much on a car, but just like the cadillac commercial asks, "when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?" I love that quote, and mine definately does for me. So, I want a rear that will take alot of abuse, more than I can ever throw at it!
And no, its not like a $100 air lid! hehe. I dont have the money to change it after its bought, so I better like it the first time! Right on RAGENZ28!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange said no changes to the S60's other than the truetrac as being the standard diff, and that beginning feb 1 the prices are going up!!! the brake options have not changed. if you are intersted get with me and order it soon! also, the 3 channel abs will become an option after feb 1.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also just got off the phone with a girl in the tech department, and not sales. She actually knew what she was talking about. So, I am in. She said 2383 is the price now. and that tru track is the standard differential.

are you doing a GP or something ssvert99?