Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Massive Hole in Diff Cover!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Hole in Diff Cover!

On my way to work this morning, I pulled into a gas station and drove over a small curb while making a sharp left turn. It was nothing major, just a little bump and I rode over it slowly.

As I did that, I heard a clunk coming from the rear of the car. I kept pulling up to the gas station, and then heard what I thought was a flat tire, a kind of rubbing sound. I stopped and hopped out thinking I was going to put the spare on.

But as I came around to the rear of the car, I saw rear-end fluid pouring out of the diff cover. I looked under and saw a long rip in the cover. It looks like the reluctor wheel hit the inside of the cover and cut it.

I have noticed a kind of clunking from the rear from time to time, so it's no surprise. I guess the 60mph tire smoking burn outs finally took their toll on the 10 bolt! I'll bet the main caps came loose and the carrier is moving around in there.

I haven't checked yet, but is the cover steel or aluminum? I think I can weld it up so I can get it back in the road until I get a 12 bolt. Can I run without the reluctor wheel? I might just check to see if I can tighten the mains and salvage the rear for a while.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Factory cover is steel, but the reluctor shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to touch it. The only way that could happen is if the carrier actually moved rearward; and the only way THAT could happen is with broken or backed out bearing caps, REALLY worn carrier bearings (as in no rollers left), or a broken carrier. That much movement may also damage the axles.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

im suprised it held together as long as it did. I would definently check out whats wrong before just welding it and getting back on the road. I can see the main caps loose for sure. good luck.. and just think, you wont have to have your tire fixed.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Skinny
Factory cover is steel, but the reluctor shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to touch it. The only way that could happen is if the carrier actually moved rearward; and the only way THAT could happen is with broken or backed out bearing caps, REALLY worn carrier bearings (as in no rollers left), or a broken carrier. That much movement may also damage the axles.
I'll get picks of the carnage tonight. I'm sure it will be messy in there.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver02Z28
I'll get picks of the carnage tonight. I'm sure it will be messy in there.
sweet
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for a 12bolt or 9"!!!