Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

the bearings in my rear end have gone out

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the bearings in my rear end have gone out

i have a 2002 trans am and the bearings in the rear end have gone out and i dont know weather to buy a new rear end and have it installed or to just have someone replace the bearings. i was also thinking about putting in a better rear end because i have a manual transmission and i drive it pretty hard and i hope to keep the car for a long time
Old 01-18-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you drive it pretty hard and want to get something that lasts, your best (though pricey) options are a 9" rear end or an S60. They will run about $2300-$2900, or you could pick up a used one for less. If you install one of those rear ends that's pretty much the last time you'll deal with rear end problems for the life of the car.

If you don't have the cash you could buy a master install kit (includes all new bearings, bolts, etc) and have someone refresh your 10 bolt rear end. However, there's no guarantee on how long a 10 bolt will last, especially behind a manual, especially when it's driven hard.

I see you're in NC, if you want some more info, parts, prices or labor try giving Tick Performance a call (http://www.tick-performance.com/) They sold me my aftermarket rear end (in my last car) and have rebuilt plenty.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

^ya thats pretty much what i told you before, i would try to stay away from rebuilding that 10 bolt. you rape that car on a regular basis and i was only in it twice! youll get some more replies soon im sure telling you the same.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

its a perfect excuse to get a 9".
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

It's also a perfect opportunity to learn to do it yourself and change the bearings! But, I couldn't argue against upgrading the rear if that's your choice.