Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Help

Alright, I spent most of my morning in my driveway yesterday doing my first differential fluid change. Its a 10 bolt 8.5 rear Auburn posi unit. standard operating equipment in an Impala SS. Now i did the fluid change, but probably spilled out an entire quart of oil. Some one told me it took 4 quarts of oil, but i should have listened to common knowledge and realized there was no way 4 quarts is gonna fit in there. So I'm pretty sure i got about 2 quarts in there

Anyway. my point is after the fluid change im still only spinning 1 tire, things are exactly the same as before I changed it. Now theres a large possibility that i lost alot of posi additive due to the 1 quart of over flow.

So my question is what are my options from here because my posi still isn't working.

Please any advise, knowledge, suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its an auburn... what more to say?

yes, your posi is more than likely worn out, and there is no way to rebuild an auburn unit.

you will need to replace it. i'd suggest an Eaton style posi for that car.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

changing the fluid isn't going to make both of your tires spin, sounds like the posi unit is bad or has been replaced.?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by getusumws6
changing the fluid isn't going to make both of your tires spin, sounds like the posi unit is bad or has been replaced.?
i had just hoped it had not been done in a wile, and all it might need was a fluid change. I didnt wanna except the fact that it was worn. but gotta face the truth i guess