Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carrier no good.. No money.. No good.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carrier no good.. No money.. No good.

So my rearend hows like the @#$!@% Wind and I think its the carrier bearings.. Where could I get replacements? Im not doing a rearend right now I dont have the Cash flow. But where could I get replacement bearings? how much? Hard to replace? Any info appreciated thank's in advance!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get carrier bearings at any parts store. They aren't that bad to install. You just have to press them on and off the carrier.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Be sure that when you pry the carrier out that you pay attention to how the shims where in there so you can re-install the carrier to the same backlash specs. A simple 3 jaw puller can remove them and I have hard that you can heat them up and put your carrier in the freezer for a bit and they will slide right on...not sure if thats true or not...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

my friend does fleet maintenance for a plumbing company...he uses a tool that goes in the 2 big holes where the 10 bolt cover attaches...the tool then spreads the axle housing and the carrier can be lifted out gaining access to the bearings..
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

its called a case spreader, helpful in big dana rears and works great on a crappy 10 bolt but not necessary, take both caps off and eather coax the carrier out with a prybar and some rags or put a box wrench on one of the ring gear bolts and wedge a rag between the box wrench and the top of the housing, drop the drive shaft and spin the yoke with a prybar and it will push the carrier out. If its an un-tampered rear from the factory it should have one big shim on either side, dont lose track of them. Take the carrier to a parts store, a real parts store and have them press on new bearings. are you sure its a carrier bearing? are they visably scored or pitted?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Im not sure what it is but a few people have told me it may be the carrier bearing so its a start, I will have to tear it down and check it. I have 2 other cars so I do not have to drive it really but I would like it to back in the game tho.