Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Serious Clunking Noise !!! Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serious Clunking Noise !!! Plz Help

I have a 1998 TA that I bought the moser 9" housing and axle package for and alsoa ford 9" center section. Had bearings pressed by race shop and driveshaft bearings pressed in the same. I checked the driveshaft and made certain bolts were tight with no play. I drive the vehicle perfectly til about 35-40 mph while upon acceleration it sounds like something is knocking on near the u-joint and diff. almost sounds like driveshaft is slapping something. So some buddies of mine thought it was exhaust, and swaybar but i took swaybar off and it still had an issue, exhaust is clearing and definitely no problems. The best way I can describe it is that it slaps in rotation and sounds like someone is hitting the rear with a hammer. I have no idea what to do and I am getting desperate. I have also lifted it off the ground with no load on the tires and got the tires up to around 40 mph and it is not apparent. My buddy said he thought it would be suspension but I am leaning towards bad build on the differential. PLease help!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 AM
12 Second Club

after reading up i dont see a bend in the torque arm but this problem only occurs under load which I would think could be 2 things a torque arm or differential. I am using a stock torque arm. Could pinion angle be that far off that it is trying to snap the u joint to head north? Guys I need help bad!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know if you are lowered or not but if you are that makes your problem worse. If you crawl under there and take a peek, your 9 inch is probably making room for itself under there. Check above the torque arm on the side of the tunnel and over the top of the center section. You might see places where it's dented the underside of the floor pan. The 9 inch is a lot bigger than stock. After you drive it around for a while it makes room for itself and stops the racket. That's my first guess at what you are experiencing.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Default torque arm

My vehicle is at stock ride height. I have taken off rear sway bar to eliminate that from being the cause. While loaded with road test drives, a slap is heard at 30-35 and worsens as the vehicle increases in speed. I have and will not push this limit because there is plenty of room above the torque arm. I can hear something slap at 1800 rpms and babying acceleration. I seriously doubt the torque arm is trying to bang that hard as I am not even rolling into the throttle and loading the drive line. I believe I bent the torque arm upon install and now my pinion angle is fudged. I'll put it this way my brother and I laid on our backs and SQUATTED this rear end towards the front. I probably bent the torque arm as I believe the differential is pointing in a northernly direction in reference to the transmission tailshaft. I did not know since I did not take the torque arm out of the car that there were 3 bolts in the front and I never loosened the top bolt of the clam shell. I guess no worries since my BMR adjustable torque arm will be here tomorrow but I will measure pinion angle with the guage before I remove or touch the factory torque just to see how out it is. I am just pissed that my u-joint rather ride in my backseat that do it's job because of my mistake.