Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

posi problem with a new torsen replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default posi problem with a new torsen replacement

ok so i have a 2000 ws6. I brought it in to the dealer before my extended warranty (GMPP) ran out. I brought it in because if you let off the gas and then hit it again with the converter locked it would make a clunking sound like there was too much play in the rear...

Anyways. They said they found play in the locker (torsen). They replaced it.

Well its still clunks but thats besides the point. Before the service the car would not go posi when turning to the right. I figured the torsen was worn with 85000 miles. It would go posi fine to the left and straight.

After they "supposedly" replaced torsen the car still does not get posi when turning to the right. Am i going to have to kick these guy's in the nuts or is this something that is normal with torsen rear ends. The torsen carrier is brand new supposedly...

My problem is its doing the exact same thing as it was before i had it serviced. Im wondering they did anything at all...
Old 03-17-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought a limited slip was suppose to slip [unlock around corners]. It should lock up when going straight, one wheel will spin then the other will gain traction. Generally the pass side spins then the driver side will. How fast this happens depends on the torque bais, or break over torque of the posi unit. A spool locks both axels together all of the time. This causes problems when going around corners.

Quick Reply: posi problem with a new torsen replacement