Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

got my Midwest Chassis fab 9"!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Any lets no if its loud
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rear is an absolute work of art. I've been rackin' my brain trying to figure out what I'm going to put in my car out back. I just found my answer.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssvert99
^^^ this was the customers choice. there are attaching clips and tabs for the rubber hose to clip on if you so desire to do it that way. you would have to disassemble the hoses and pipes, reposition onto the supplied mount, and bleed the brakes to do this. the brake liones are probably the hardest part of the install. other than that, it is truely the most complete bolt-in assy you can buy.
Can you tell me more about noise issues with this rear end ??
Can you built a compltely quiet 9'' ?
Is the Torque Arm noisy ? Im guessing because of the rod ends.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMN!...That looks great! Its nice to see a company taking care to crate it up like that. Im sure after my H/C swap I will be in need of one, I bet I snap my 10 bolt like a twig!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

any rearend other that the stock 10 bolt with the stock suspension components is going to "transmit" more noise than the stock setup. not that is "makes" more noise, just transmits more. the ring and pinions associated with performance upgrades will always be a bit more noisy than a stock gear, even in the stock rearend, so it depends on what you are after. "completely quiet" and "performance type rearend and suspension assembly" are usually never associated together.
i will tell you that this rearend and torque arm assembly is probably the quietest on the market for the type of setup it is. the torque arm is connected to the crossmember with a pivot link. there is a Energy Suspension poly bushing in the bottom of the link to eliminate the noises usually associated with performance torque arms.

so to sum it up for you... can i build a "completely quiet" performance rearend? probably not. but neither will anyone else, and don't let anyone else tell you they can. any rearend other than the stock 10 bolt will cause the car to have a different "point of resonance" than it was designed for, and will have noises. it's physics, not quality.

do my torque arms make noise? no. they may transmit more noise into the car from "road input", but they do not "make" noise. this is the nature of a performance based suspension component. the rod ends on the rear of the torque arm are soild, and fixed to the rearend when installed. the heim joint in the front of the arm is a aircraft grade(chromemoly), teflon lined component. the teflon liner lubricates and insulates the metal to metal contact, thus lessening any noise.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

So is this an alternative to the M9 it just has a shorter torque arm and dosent replace the trans x member. Also seems like it would be quieter because of that poly bushing. Any rough price quotes for a bolt in housing with torque arm and mount/drive shaft loop. Housing dosent need sway bar mounts (want to use factory style bar), axles, bearings, no lowering brackets, phb, or lca's.

Last edited by B-Rad420; 03-24-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
So is this an alternative to the M9 it just has a shorter torque arm and dosent replace the trans x member. Also seems like it would be quieter because of that poly bushing.
It looks like you can get a torque arm that mounts to the transmission crossmember or the shorter one that mounts to the tunnel brace. I think if you do a search you'll find his pricing, and find it VERY competitive with similar alternatives.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
So is this an alternative to the M9 it just has a shorter torque arm and dosent replace the trans x member. Also seems like it would be quieter because of that poly bushing. Any rough price quotes for a bolt in housing with torque arm and mount/drive shaft loop. Housing dosent need sway bar mounts (want to use factory style bar), axles, bearings, no lowering brackets, phb, or lca's.

the M9 is the same basic style "fabricated" design as mine. the M9 only has one torque arm option(trans xmember mounted and solid connection). i offer tunnel and trans crossmember mounted designs. both use a poly bushing mounted pivot link.

base package includes housing with all standard features, axles, complete nodular iron center section, chromemoly adjustable torque arm and crossmember for your application. true "bolt-in" assembly.
the standard features of the housing are: lightest weight/strongest fabricated design, drain plug, stock style anti-sway bar brackets installed, 4 hole relocator style lca brackets, brake line retaining clips, brake hose mounts, e-brake cable mounting brackets(98-02). some of these features are not even available on the others.

base package starts at 2600.00 shipped
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

i've put 250mi. on my rear and i'll say my rear dosent whine at all (load/coast) and my torque arm (tunnel mount) dosent make noise. dont mean to intrude,just stating facts!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

its all good. mine is doing awesome. havent put as many miles as you but will get the fluid changed out before race season starts. The solid anti-roll bar I have is something to get used to. the links do make a slight noise on a bump, but that lets me know it works.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

hopefully that S case will hold up

looks awesome, congrats.

Chad
Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

ive put about 250 miles on mine no noise on the freeway at 70..or in shutdown at 110...ive never heard it at all...havent broken it either...
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

yep, im spraying a 150 shot out the hole and the rear hasnt even flinched.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daniel6718
ive put about 250 miles on mine no noise on the freeway at 70..or in shutdown at 110...ive never heard it at all...havent broken it either...
Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
its all good. mine is doing awesome. havent put as many miles as you but will get the fluid changed out before race season starts. The solid anti-roll bar I have is something to get used to. the links do make a slight noise on a bump, but that lets me know it works.
Originally Posted by getusumws6
i've put 250mi. on my rear and i'll say my rear dosent whine at all (load/coast) and my torque arm (tunnel mount) dosent make noise. dont mean to intrude,just stating facts!

Do any of you guys get any banging/clunking from the torque arm?
What about any noise from a start/stop as the torque arm moves/loads/unloads on the pivot?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
What about any noise from a start/stop as the torque arm moves/loads/unloads on the pivot?
We installed mine this last weekend and it had limited street break in before going to the track launching of a 6800 RPM clutch dump on MT 28x10.5 Drag and getting the front tires off the ground. It performed flawlessly and I have not heard any noise out of the rear end at all (accel/decel) and I have not noticed any difference in noise from the torque arm / trans mount that replaced a BMR adjustable with trans relocation. There also were not any issues clearing my 4" exhaust or hitting the tunnel.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

i cant hear it at all..its mounted by rubber...its the same as a poly.rod ended lca....if you have any kinda exahust you can hear then there wont be an niose at all...and you get the benefit of it not moving basically at all during launching
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

ive heard the pivot joint a couple times, but thats ok. that lets me know the power is transfering
Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta

the front of the torque arm is mounted to the pivot link with a teflon lined aircraft heim joint. the pivot link is attached to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension poly bushing that eliminates the noise. for the track-only cars i offer a solid type pivot bushing.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had mine long enough for breaking and trip down to Atlanta, Ga and no noise what so ever! Ran the car in the 12's with street tires just need to put the M/t's back on. Great product!!!! Couldn't be happier!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Looks to pretty to put under a car.. LOL

Quick Reply: got my Midwest Chassis fab 9"!