Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

i think the 10 bolt is screwed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think the 10 bolt is screwed

well took it to the track and a friend of mine did a little tunning with hp tunners. ls1 with a fast 90/90 and longtubes and a lot of suspension ended up cutting a 12.2 at 112. not bad for a 6 speed car with a bone stock motor......besides the bolt ons. anyways on the next to last pass of the day i let my friend drive that was doing the tunning. i noticed the car went down to 1 wheel peel during the burn out. i get in it to make the last pass and on the launch i get a horrible noise acompanied by a lot of chatter. so i limp it down the track and then drive it home. under acceleration the car will rev up (almost as if the clutch is slipping) and has a pretty nasty vibration at the same time. i can cruise down the highway and drive it but when i gun into it does the high rev and chatter/ vibration thing. gonna put it up in the air on jackstands and see if i can hear anything in there with a stethescope tomarrow then pull the diff cover to inspect it. i hope the clutch isn't slipping that bad on top of it all because i just put it in there last year (spec 3)

in short. what did your guys 10 bolts do when thye finally died? does my situation sound familiar to those who have killed 10 bolts?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

Sounds like your clutch has blown up.

The rear will not cause any slippage, its either broken or its not. So if you're driving along and something is slipping when you try and accelerate, its not the rear thats your problem, its the clutch.

The pressure plate probably let go, causing improper engagement, resulting in chattering and slippage. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of problems with SPEC clutches.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that is is in your clutch. I sell a lot of Spec clutches though and have had very few problems with them. I had a spec Stage 3 clutch in my Camaro for years, and it was good enough when I pulled it out that I resold it. Possibly the guy you let make that run slipped the snot out of it. Bob
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

it really sounds as though it is comming from the rear. i will know more tonight. if there are some cool carnage pics to be taken i will post them up
Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not your clutch, pull the rear cover and check the spider gears first. Broken spider gears in the differtial will do that.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its worth your time to take a moment and inspect the rear but prob its the clutch.