Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Whine

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Board. I just picked up a 02 z28 m6 about a week ago. So far its ran great. However there is a sound comming from the rear when im at minimum throttle. It only happens noticably in 5 and 6th gear. I can hear it faintly in fourth. It doesnt happen when im harder into the throttle and it doesnt happen when im completely off it. Also it only seems to happen after the car gets hot. Only when im crusing. Its really annoying. The car has about 47k on the clock and as far as i know the gears are stock. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? I was thinking about changing the rear fluid. If that doesnt stop it should i put in a heavier wieght fluid?

Last edited by fspalt; 04-14-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:35 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

My factory gears did the same thing when I got the car. It would really only be audible at around 95 kph under light to moderate throttle.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Anyone else? This really irritates me.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

You will have to open the rear and check the gear pattern. I wound up changing my gears to get rid of the noise.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the SAME EXACT problem as you, it ended up being an axel bearing, I didnt replace it though, I just got a 9"
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fspalt
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Board. I just picked up a 02 z28 m6 about a week ago. So far its ran great. However there is a sound comming from the rear when im at minimum throttle. It only happens noticably in 5 and 6th gear. I can hear it faintly in fourth. It doesnt happen when im harder into the throttle and it doesnt happen when im completely off it. Also it only seems to happen after the car gets hot. Only when im crusing. Its really annoying. The car has about 47k on the clock and as far as i know the gears are stock. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? I was thinking about changing the rear fluid. If that doesnt stop it should i put in a heavier wieght fluid?

What kind of noise is it? Here is a link that might help........

http://www.jawsgear.com/tech_faq.php

Jeff