Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue

I bought a 3ch ABS M9 (narrowed 1" each side) a couple weeks ago thru my local dif shop that I take all my rear end business to. After spending all day Monday on it, I got the piece of art work hung under the car only to find out the ABS sensor hits the gas tank.

I have a plastic gas tank, and the only other car I've seen written about with a plastic tank was in GM Hi Tech, and they also had a fit issue. I've seen 2 cars on here with fuel cells that did not have a fit issue, but neither were 3 ch. And the 2 test mules Moser tried their mock-ups on had steel tanks. What are the odds?

So Danny @ NW Dif contacted Moser while I tried a bunch of different things. I played with the pinion angle, tried moving the gas tank around, shortened the top rod end in the torque arm, reversed the ABS sensor, etc. No matter what I did the sensor still hit the tank when the rear end was at it's ride height with 1" lowering springs.

Anyway, Danny has been talking at length to Ron @ Moser & they think Tim in their fab shop has found the solution. So next week Moser is shipping us a NEW M9 housing with the plug & sensor rearranged & we will see if that fixes my problem.

Like Ron @ Moser said, "You're the 1st kid on the block with this particular configuration, so we might still need to tweak it...." but they stepped right up & are working thru this so anyone else with a 3 ch ABS f-body and a plastic gas tank (99 & up) that wants one of these beauties won't have to deal with it.

BIG KUDOS to both of these places!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice to see someone still stands behind their stuff.

Thanks!
Mark

some pics to help connect the dots.....
Attached Thumbnails Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-vs-old-9.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-installed.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-installed-2.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-installed-4.jpg  

Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-fit-issue-2.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-fit-issue.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-fit-issue-4.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-fit-issue-7.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-m9-wheel-well-mod.jpg  

Old 04-25-2008, 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to see they took care of it Mark. Like I told you the other day, Tim from Moser called me the other day to see what I knew about the plastic tanks being an interference. Tim and everyone at Moser wants to take care of this immediately for you. Bob
Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Ooops, I forgot about your help Bob....blush....SORRY! Thanks for looking into it for me!!!

Yes, I was pleasantly surpised by how Moser responded! They did exactly what I wanted them to do without me even asking. Great news for me, and all of us on LS1tech actually....& an example to all vendors of the correct way to deal with a problem. Work with your customer to fix it!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow. This seals the deal. EPP and M9 are in my direct future. I'm holding off on torque arm just so I can get the M9. GMHTP's write-up really heaped praise on it.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:25 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks real nice. For the life of me, I can't get over the lack of R&D prior to releasing a product like this. Good luck with the set up.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

Killer! Im waiting to break mine then Ill lighten it up with one of these!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

It's a killer setup, no doubt about it. I can't wait to see what it does at the track. I think the Madman torque arm is about the only thing out there that is on the same level. No arguing the results both have had on our cars.

In Moser's defense, they did install one on 2 cars. And their local Chevy dealer told them most F-bodies have steel tanks. I told them of the hundred or so that are in our local area that we've seen, ALL of the 99 & up have plastic tanks. I think their jumping on this & offering to send me a new housing 48hrs after they heard about my problem proves they were surprised, and are comittted to giving us a unit we can "bolt in".

And another data point on the M9. It weighs an honest 40lbs less than my old 9" did.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12

The guy's from Moser brought over my M9 last September or early October for us to install. We used the fuel tank that Nasty Performance sells, and of course it fit just fine and looked like it would clear anything you could throw at it. No one had any idea that the plastic tank would pose a problem until the guy's at GM High-Tech had a problem installing their M9 with the standard plastic tank. Moser's marketing guy at the time, who is no longer with Moser, might of heard of this problem that the guy's at High-Tech had, and if he did, he never forwarded this info to Moser's Kip and Tim. Bob
Old 04-26-2008, 02:07 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

So the entire R&D process was a fitting on one car? Even worse, one with a custom fuel tank? In any other industry, this is absolutely laughable.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JBM
So the entire R&D process was a fitting on one car? Even worse, one with a custom fuel tank? In any other industry, this is absolutely laughable.
Originally Posted by Wahusker
And the 2 test mules Moser tried their mock-ups on had steel tanks.
No way. Moser did testing in house first, but it was with metal tanks. Bob
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
No way. Moser did testing in house first, but it was with metal tanks. Bob
To their credit, Moser asked a guy at their local Chevy dealership about our cars & were told almost all of the F-bodies came with metal tanks & 4 ch ABS. Not sure what book that guy read, but of the hundred or so F-bodies we've seen up here in Seattle ALL of the 99 & up have plastic tanks. Tho the 3 ch ABS cars seem to be rare.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

how are these new rear end say for a daily/weekly driven car on the street? any different from the moser 9"
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trans2000am
how are these new rear end say for a daily/weekly driven car on the street? any different from the moser 9"
the m9 is strip only not for the street youll be fine with a moser 9"
Old 04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
They say they make more noise because of the rod ends on the torque arm. Mine will get driven on the street, but not as a DD....it's my toy.

And Moser called to tell me the new housing will ship tomorrow. Nice!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Is it only noise that makes them not the ideal DD rear end? I am going to drive mine on the street and don't want to get something that is not going to work.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

I would think that is the "issue". The torque arm will make it hit harder when you nail it, so I guess it's possible you'd have more of a traction issue with street tires. But the other main differences are they are stronger, lighter & prettier. Ask Bob @ EPP what he thinks....
Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I would think that is the "issue". The torque arm will make it hit harder when you nail it, so I guess it's possible you'd have more of a traction issue with street tires. But the other main differences are they are stronger, lighter & prettier. Ask Bob @ EPP what he thinks....
My Camaro doesn't seem any louder of the street with the M9 than it did with my old set-up. I feel that it is actually quieter than the Spohn 405 torque arm.
The M9 torque arm assembly is the best one we have used, your car will certainly get better traction with it!
Here is a link to the M9 on my website.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324
$1800.00 gets you the housing/axles/torque arm and transmission crossmember.
You then pick the center section you want to use plus there are many other options that you can add if you choose to do so.
Here is a link to my Z28 with this M9 rear. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12
Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

The new housing came in from Moser May 5th. I was in Germany working so my buddy went & dry checked it for clearance (prior to transferring all the parts over) & it fits fine now. They lowered the inpsection cover to be almost flush & moved the ABS sensor to the top of the housing next to the torque arm mount.

I plan to install it tonight & will post more pics. After I talk to them & we compare notes I assume they will make them all this way for our cars. I am very pleased with how Moser handled this!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

I took a couple pics, it even fits with the lowering springs Bob sent me....nice, well done Moser!!!
Attached Thumbnails Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-new-moser-m9.jpg   Moser Steps Up To Fix M9 Issue-new-moser-m9-2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Wow that thing looks great, i don't think i want the 9" anymore. I might just get myself a little beater so i can get that sucker with a spool.
-Joel