Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Grinding noise when I turn right????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when I turn right????

Just had my strange 3.42's installed on my 1998 T/A. In the process of breaking them in right now, but every time I veer right, turn right or anything, I hear a grinding noise from my RH side rear wheel? What could this be? I had the deluxe install kit done on the rearend? Could it be a wheel bearing problem? Or possibly a heat shield thing? I'm pretty upset right now. Dont even know where to start. It only really does it when the car is coasting, or at least thats when I hear it. But I cant even begin to create a hypothesis on what could be wrong! Any help would be great!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a 98ss same thing happened, we pulled the cover off to find a bunch of pieces, i guess it was doin it for a while, my buddies car and he showed it to me finally then on his way home the damned rearend locked up on the freeway, as you guess not to much fun, at least he didnt screw up the car, anyways we junked the pos auburn centrifical type limited slip for a eaton clutch style. This rearend holds up awesome tho he drives like an ***
Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o and that was after 3 or 400 miles on a new rearend installed at a shop, we put in the eaton and its passed 5k now
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Could be any # of things. Did you do the install yourself or from a shop? If a shop performed the install, take it back to them ASAP.
You might be able to run the car while on jack stands to pinpoint the grind, but that may not help if it only does it while turning right.
Could be a missing C-clip, or a bad carrier or axle bearing. Heck it might be a brake issue.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you just installed them did you add the GM limited slip additive? That could do it if it wasn't added to the fluid. They can bind up when turning, shouldn't affect the coasting I don't think though. I'd be pullin' the cover and checking it out.