Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear whine on Deceleration only

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gear whine on Deceleration only

Just put a used 10" 3:42 in my 98 vert (formerly 2:73) I installed Strano springs all the way around, Koni 2 ways up front and have Tokico HPs in the rear(will change them later) I think it is about 1.5" lower than stock. I checked the axle splines and the mesh pattern and both looked good. I also pulled the carrier just to check the pinion and it looks fine as well. I installed new axle bearings and seals as well. The rear is quiet EXCEPT when I decelerate, loudest is at around 45 - 55 mph. Noise is barely there at low speed or high speed decleration and makes no noise on acceleration.

Question 1: Could lowering the rear by 1.5" or so cause the pinion angle to change enough to create more load on the pinion and create the whine?

Question 2: If it is a backlash issue, will shimming the pinion in an older rear end take out the whine?

Question3: What will happen if I just live with it? I am thinking that maybe I should just drive it and install 2 series 3:42 ring and pinion in my old 2:73 rear which was quiet as a mouse.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whine of any sort with 3.42s sounds like a setup issue. It took the dealership 4 tries to get my gears set properly when it was under warranty (and I had no other choice than to take it to them), but they remained quiet up until the day I took that rear out of the car, and that included lowering it.

Now with my Strange, it whines like a bitch...I can guarantee you it is all in the setup with that one. I only need to get up the energy to pull the cover and look at the pattern.

Bottom line: you shouldn't be having this issue.

Quick Reply: Gear whine on Deceleration only