Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear axel wheel hop after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axel wheel hop after clutch install

ever since i installed my spec s3 clutch in my 99 z28 i've had bad wheel hop from my rear end whenever it's put under an initial load like taking off from a stop light or pulling out of the driveway. i'm not driving hard or crazy, just normal. i've jacked the rear end up and tried to look for play in any bolts with u-joints or the torque arm from when i put it all back together after the clutch install, and everything looks good. i can't find anything wrong. could it just be the way the spec s3 clutch acts? if so, i wont worry and try to forget about it, but the wheel hop is annoying. any ideas or anyone had this problem before?
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's called chatter, and it's a common prob. with spec clutches. mine does it also.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2fast99Z
ever since i installed my spec s3 clutch in my 99 z28 i've had bad wheel hop from my rear end whenever it's put under an initial load like taking off from a stop light or pulling out of the driveway. i'm not driving hard or crazy, just normal. i've jacked the rear end up and tried to look for play in any bolts with u-joints or the torque arm from when i put it all back together after the clutch install, and everything looks good. i can't find anything wrong. could it just be the way the spec s3 clutch acts? if so, i wont worry and try to forget about it, but the wheel hop is annoying. any ideas or anyone had this problem before?
That aint wheel hop. You'll have to learn to drive it without slipping the clutch so much. Maybe the chatter will go away once you've put some miles on it.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Teching In

its chatter, my spec 4 does it in first gear. If you pump the clutch a few times before taking off, it isn't that noticable. Its still a damn good clutch, but as stated this is a common problem.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys. guess i just wasn't expecting the drastic change after the install. atleast i can rest assured that nothing is wrong.