Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

1st Lube Change After Gear Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Lube Change After Gear Swap

I was just curious how everyone elses gear oil looked when they did their first gear oil change after a gear swap. I put in a Auburn High Perf posi and motive 4.10's in back in March. I decided to change the gear oil at 400 miles and it was gray like it was full of metal. I checked the gear and it looks good. The posi looks fine and I checked the wear pattern and backlash. All looks good. Could this just be normal break in wear and tear.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup. its dust from the clutches and tiny particals from the bearings, the magnet picks up most of the larger shavings. If you have an aftermarket cover its a good idea to epoxy a magnet somewhere in the housing or cover just for that reason, flush it out with brake cleaner, wash off magnet and cover. scrape the gasket surface clean and dry and reinstall with a new gasket, torque the bolts down in a star pattern. refill and your good to go. use teflon tape on the jack screws on the aftermarket cover if they leak.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first change on my 9" was after ~500 miles, the fluid was pretty filthy with particles from break-in.

Quick Reply: 1st Lube Change After Gear Swap