Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with a decision regarding the direction of my car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Tough Mudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with a decision regarding the direction of my car.

This is one of those threads that could go in a lot of different places. I decided on the "Gears & Axles" section because that's one of the main decisions I have to make.

Since I bought this car, I’ve been trying to make it do everything.
Street car: keeping the A/C, cruise, stereo, subwoofer, full interior, TT2s, some appearance stuff
Road Race car: Revalved Bilsteins, BMR lowering springs, strut tower brace, larger front sway bar,
Drag Race car: Convo Pros with et. Streets, skinnies
Other stuff: adj panhard bar, LCAs, M12 GTO transmission, fancy exhaust, HP tuned, Hurst Billit Plus, poly motor mounts, nitrous, Torquer 3 camshaft, injectors, fuel pump, hotwire kit, 85mm lid/maf

Couple other things you should know:
I am still on the stock 10 bolt, but I will be buying a 9” in the near future.
The rear Convo Pros are the wrong offset and they stick out about an inch. I've put about 15 miles on them. The car is lowered, I hit a bump and the tire touched the fender putting a small groove in the tire. I'm not driving on them any more until this is solved.

I have six, Torque Thrust 2’s. Four of them are 17”x9.5” and have street tires on them. Two of them are 17”x11” and have 315/35/17 BFG drag radials on them.

Options:
1.) If I’m buying a 9” rear end anyway, just get it narrowed a little. This way the Convo Pros will fit.
a. I can run a spacer or adaptor to make the TT2s fit
b. I can sell two of the 9.5” and the 11” TT2s and buy a pair of rears with the offset appropriate for the narrowed rear. I'd still have two 9.5" TT2s for the front and could sell the other four as a set.

2.) If I’m buying a 9” rear end anyway, get it narrowed a LOT. Get the damned thing mini tubbed, Sell two of the 9.5” and the 11” TT2s, buy a pair of rears with the appropriate offset for the narrowed rear, sell the rear Convo Pros and buy some DAMN BIG ones.

3.) Just buy a stock length 9” rear end, sell the back Convo Pros and get some that fit. (boring option)

4.) Sell everything except the car itself and start fresh and move in one direction; specifically drag racing. Sell shocks, springs, front sway bar, all the wheels. I still have to make a decision regarding the length of the rear.

The car will remain a street car. The only time it will see a trailer is when something else breaks and I have to get home. In the 5 years I’ve owned it I’ve road raced it ONCE. I’ve drag raced it a bunch of times.

I'm looking for suggestions or options that I haven't considered. Thanks.
Hilton
Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Sell the convos you have and get the ones that fit right, then buy the correct length 9" and then convert to drag only setup. That is just my opinion and I know how you feel about doing that to your car. If you sell the rears and get the right ones and the correct length 9 it will be the cheapest and quickest way to go. Plus you can just leave your setup as is and still have an all around bad *** driver you can use for drag race and road race. I do miss driving mine from time to time
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Hilton I'm not being a smart *** when I say this, but you are going to do your car just the way you want to do it. The same goes for all of us. We go for the ride & look that we want and not what someone else is looking for. I do agree with cainsw, get a standard size 9" for our Camaro's and wheels to fit. Narrowed and tubbed sure does sound pretty & looks good.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once upon a time I considered going with a narrowed rear, and I have similar goals for my car (although a little less drag racing in my car's future). In the end, it will be much less of a hassle if you just keep the rear at a stock width so you aren't always having to order a custom offset on your wheels just in case something happens (like you mess one up in a pot hole or something).
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

lets tub it anyway hilton.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd go option 1b. then sell off the lowering springs and Bilstien's. install 4 corner AFCO or Strange coil-overs that could be adjusted enough to do both types of racing and whatever ride height you want. the front sway bar can be just unhooked and tied up to drag race with. strut brace is optional either way, but certainly does not hinder drag racing. narrow the rear whatever amount you desire to make the wheels you have fit and replace the TT2's w/ the correct offset. and of course... the Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch rearend package.
this would be the complete package for what you want to do with the car.