Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" gear install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" gear install question

First let me say that i've done a few installs on 8.5" 10 bolts before, but this is my first 9".

Im going to be assembling my 3rd member myself for my new 9". I've read through some install guides and the only thing that isn't completely clear to me is the setting of pinion depth. Do the shims go between the bearing and pinion gear, or between the case and pinion support?

BTW, im using a Strange S case, Daytona pinion support, detroit locker, and Summit gears. Its all new stuff, so i don't have a used shim thickness to go off of. I also do not have a pinion depth gauge so i'll be going off reading the pattern. Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

the shims go between the case and the pinion support. it takes time to get it right but i am very picky and tried several different shim combo's untill i felt it was dead on.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FANCHERFAST
the shims go between the case and the pinion support. it takes time to get it right but i am very picky and tried several different shim combo's untill i felt it was dead on.
Thanks, thats what i was hoping for. Thats a hell of a lot easier then doing a 10 bolt setup.