Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help with rear end issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with rear end issue

My Z has about 55K on it, and after dealing with it for awhile, I want this to go away. I get a high pitched howling starting around 40 mph and gets higher and louder with increase in speed. Also, there has always been some seeping of gear oil from the pinion seal, but now its leaving a good 2-3" diameter spot in the driveway each day. What's my best option here (besides buying a Moser unit and dropping $2500, because I need to buy a truck in the next month or so)

Can I get away with replacing axle and carrier bearings and the pinion seal or should I really replace the whole damn thing?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

With that low of miles on the car I would replace the front and rear pinion bearings and races. Also get new, pinion seal, crush sleeve, and a new pinion nut. Check out the carrier bearings for pitting and if they check out fine just polish the races with scotch brite. Maybe $85.00 in parts and a few hours of crawling around on the floor in the garage...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the quick response and help, I really appreciate it. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to drop some serious coin on this. I know some people who were telling me to replace the whole differential also....but the howling has only been going on for about 100 miles, so I doubt I've toasted that.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It's just bearings so I would think you would not have to change out the whole differential. But if you do plan on making some good HP some day you might think of going aftermarket now.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I doubt I'll do much power upgrades to the Z28...the Turbo Buick is my track car, the Z is more for looks, weekend cruising, and an occasional autoX event. I will try the bearings etc that you suggested, hopefully that fixes the problem, if not....smokey burnouts until the whole thing is garbage.