Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.10 gear install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.10 gear install

I'm just trying to find out if anybody here knows of any shop or somebody that could help me with my 4.10 gear install in the Jacksonville, NC area. I'd really like to do it myself for the learning hands on experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I dont know mechanically inclined you are but I have been affraid to put a gear together forever and finally just broke down and did my own..It isnt all that bad you will just have to closely follow the directions given for installation, far as tools you will need a magnetic base, dial indicator, 8-9 inch long piece of square stock, and a inch pound torque wrench, small brush and some paint to get a pattern from...If your rearend is functioning fine I wouldn't waste all the money on changing out bearing just get seals..The same guy who has setup my last probably 5 rearends typically reuses the stock crush sleeves on these 10 bolts or mics them and installs a solid pinion shim which you can get from summit after you have measured the thickness of what you have...I hope this helps you out a little ..I swear it really was one of the easiest things ever just a little scary on the first one...I got my buddies SS tore apart right now doing a 4.10 in it..
Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Launching!

^ Agreed. Its intimidating but if you can follow directions you can find a lot of good write ups on the internet. Just do some research and collect the tools you are going to need ahead of time. Most important a press to get the old bearing off and grab the shim from the stock pinion.