motive gear - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > Gen 5 Camaro 2010+ Forum > Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech

Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

motive gear

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
10 Second Club
Trader Rating: 4
Default motive gear

any word on the motive gears for the new camaro,, it was posted somewhere that they would have gears out around jan 2011??
415ci stroker, Magnacharger TVS2300, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts
jay_lt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
11 Second Club
Trader Rating: 0

I hope their QC is better than the 4 sets that imploded on my 98 Z M6 within 430 miles. I then went to Richmond. After one night at the track, the r&p howled like a screaming hyena with his ***** on fire.

Little kids were running away.
'98 LS1 Z28 M6
Lid, Shaner S3 TB, FTRA Engine: RGR Stage 2 Heads, CompCam 224/581/112, Chromemoly Pushrods, 987 Springs, LS6 Intake, ASP Crank Pulley, !EGR, 160 Stat Tuning: Full Tune J. Formato Exhaust: MAC Mids, Off Road Y, No Cats, Borla Catback (No Plates) Drivetrain: Strange 12 Bolt w/4.10s, MT DR's Misc: Ripper Shifter Suspension: Granatelli SFC's, BMR LCA's Race Equip: Harlan Two Step, Harlan Shift Light, SLP Linelock Dyno: (SAE)413HP/383.TQ 1/4: 11.96@119.61 1.86 60'
1ScrudeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Technical Facepalm
Trader Rating: 2

Motive was a reliable manufacturer back in the day, but they have since moved their mfg operation to Korea and in my experience aren't making good gears.

The last straw for me was a set I bought in 2010, the pinion depth etching included the number "P". That's right, try measuring that with a caliper. Tried assuming it was either a 6 or a 9, set the pinion up accordingly, no dice. The 2.29xx had the pinion physically up against the differential.

The shop then gave up using the etched measurement and did it the hard way, got the depth and preload dialed in, perfect wipe pattern on the gear teeth...and it whines like a tractor when coasting.

US Gear or SLP get my recommendation, not Motive.
Psychology Today studies LS1Tech "please help!!" posters:
"The Dunning-Kruger effect describes a cognitive bias in which people perform poorly on a task, but lack the meta-cognitive capacity to properly evaluate their performance. As a result, such people remain unaware of their incompetence and accordingly fail to take any self-improvement measures that might rid them of their incompetence."
crainholio is offline   Reply With Quote

2010, 2011, camaro, depth, gear, gears, ls1, measure, motive, pinion, reccomendation, richmond, strange, tech, whine