Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Looking for Rear Diff Advice - SS, Auto, FI

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Rear Diff Advice - SS, Auto, FI

We decided to invest in the Gen5 Camaro platform and purchased a 2011 Camaro SS with a Whipple. We do have a tough time keeping things stock but for now we want to see what we can do with this config before going large frame turbo.

I have searched the forums and can't seem to come up with a definitive answer to this question:
What mods should we make to the stock rear diff to hold the most power? We will most likely be swapping to a 17" rear wheel and MT "R" for more sidewall and softer impact.

I know it's a loaded question but right now, on our dyno with a few hours of tuning the car is making 550whp at 9-10psi. Cars with this power to weight ratio (on our dyno) generally run high 10's and 60' around 1.6x

For reference, on our dyno a stock 6.2 makes about 320-350whp.

We will be going with a smaller upper and larger lower pulley so we assume we will be bumping the boost to roughly 14psi. We are not sure what that will yield power wise but would like the rear to last as long as possible. We will only be tracking the car once or twice a month.

Suggestions? Best vendor for diff mods? LPW support cover? Cap kit? We are a DSS dealer so we will most likely go with their axles and DS - unless someone can recommend otherwise.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 12-10-2016, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ZL1 rear diff seems to be pretty stout and can take some power. That's my plan when its in the budget.

Quick Reply: Looking for Rear Diff Advice - SS, Auto, FI