Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Camaro new axle back kit , but drone

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Camaro new axle back kit , but drone

Hi all ..

I know lots of threads on this topic, but can't seem to find the answer, so I thought I'd ask .. sorry if this is a dup ...

2013, SS, auto, mostly stock, rally yellow, convertible with stock ground effects

I cut off stock mufflers 3" behind the mufflers and installed MRT GFX to get better muscle car sound.

On startup, they sound great, exactly the type of deeper sounds I wanted.
However, when driving, I am getting very bad drone ... at least I think it's drone. Most always around 1600 rpm in higher gear. As you pass through 1600 (or so) rpms, you get Bummmmmm, then switches to Grrrrrrrrrrrr, then back to Bummmmmmmm (sorry for the bad description), but horribly annoying ... really sounds as though there is a flap in the exhaust flapping at that rpm changing the sound ... is that drone?

Is this something to do with the solonoid flap in the exhaust, that shows itself only with after market exhaust? should I take out the fuse to disable, and see if this is related?

Just for kicks, I took off both new MRT axle back mufflers and drove without, and I get the exact same annoying noise ...

So, this seems to tell me that this droning sound isn't produced by the aftermarket mufflers, but instead isn't cancelled out by the aftermarket mufflers .... So this drone is produced by the car, not the muffler ...

So what now? MRT won't let me return these mufflers ... $475 down the drain ... uggggh ...... have a J-pipe welded on? not sure where to go for that? Local Midas, Goodyear etc, knows nothing about j-pipes .. can I ship these MRTs to a shop someplace to weld j-pipes on? I'm in Washington DC metro area.

I heard another 5gen camaro today with Pypes axle back with no drone ... are some aftermarket muffer kits designed to cancel drone?

Not sure which way to go with this puzzle I have created ...
Any thoughts or advise?

thanks much!!
cjsalzano@gmail.com
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ARH setup is killer. No droan whatsoever on my wife's car and the sound is amazing. Give me a call and we will be happy to help out.

Quick Reply: 2013 Camaro new axle back kit , but drone