General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car cutting out at wot

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cutting out at wot

so i had the car out again last night and it was running great. did a couple pulls and was perfect. then i went to do another pull and it started cutting out horrible at wot. couldnt even get over 5k rpm in 3rd. i have had it out several times this year already with all different temperature levels, so i highly doubt it has anything to do with tune. just had it inspected last week and not a single code came up. now this may sound really stupid and i hope this is the solution but the gas was very low. could it just be something as simple as this? car has newer fuel pump in it and i checked all plug wires all were on fine. car idled perfect and drove normal just fine. any ideas?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

well now speaking to several more guys, they seem to think it is because of my SD tune. im going to research more into the SD vs. maf setups. i may ditch the SD tune and go to maf, as some guys are telling me SD tunes arent as good and make less power?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i seriosuly doubt its your tune if its been fine all this time, id be more suspected as to it being plugs and wires being worn out and cannot deliver when the engine is under more stress.

seen this same situation on lots of cars breaking up at high rpm's.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tape the fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and drive around and if it acts up see if you are losing fuel pressure.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If the problem is at high rpm only and the engine seems to hit a wall at 5k, you may have some weak valve springs that are floating. If ignition and fuel systems check out fine, then valve springs would be my next guess.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

well an update. just had the car out with fresh gas and it ran perfect. perfect everytime at WOT and idles perfect and normal driving is right on. no issues whatsoever

Quick Reply: car cutting out at wot