General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help quieting down my Cammed LS3

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help quieting down my Cammed LS3

Greetings and happy holidays guys, thanks for taking the time to read and help. Just picked up an '04 GTO with a cammed LS3 and longtubes. I LOVE the car and LOVE the sound but its just too loud for the city of chicago. Every time i take the car out I set off all of my neighbors car alarms and most of the time i end up getting pulled over at some point. Ive had the car for a month and have already been pulled over 3 times because of the noise lol. Like i said, I LOVE the noise but I have no choice . I just installed some magnaflow mufflers into the SLP Powerflo exhaust system and they really didn't do a whole lot. Whats my next move? Cats? Resonators? I know eventually Ill have to pass emissions so cats would be my first choice but will they quiet her down at all? If I install cats/resonators will I need a re-tune and will they even help with sound deadening? Im at a loss here. Also any specific brands I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by krellio23
Greetings and happy holidays guys, thanks for taking the time to read and help. Just picked up an '04 GTO with a cammed LS3 and longtubes. I LOVE the car and LOVE the sound but its just too loud for the city of chicago. Every time i take the car out I set off all of my neighbors car alarms and most of the time i end up getting pulled over at some point. Ive had the car for a month and have already been pulled over 3 times because of the noise lol. Like i said, I LOVE the noise but I have no choice . I just installed some magnaflow mufflers into the SLP Powerflo exhaust system and they really didn't do a whole lot. Whats my next move? Cats? Resonators? I know eventually Ill have to pass emissions so cats would be my first choice but will they quiet her down at all? If I install cats/resonators will I need a re-tune and will they even help with sound deadening? Im at a loss here. Also any specific brands I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance
Magnaflows are great for flow but don't do much to quiet a rowdy engine
combo down....I use them on stock car combos for these reasons but IIWY
I'd sell those and run some Walker Dynomax mufflers...not the welded ones
that look like Flowmasters but the Super Turbo style which runs the exhaust
from end to end with nice flow director plates inside....trust me they sound
deep and throaty yet should not hurt power or send off car alarms.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree on A.R. with the Dynomax mufflers. They sound real nice, have a deep tone and should quiet the exhaust down a decent amount more then the Magnaflows. Also install cats since you will eventually need to anyways, they will help quiet it down a little more. Do those two things and it should be noticeably less noisy then your current set up.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Catted mid pipe.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I've been wondering the same, and have started to lean towards the Kooks TD route again. The price will be about the same as my original plan to go with ARH Lt's Catted Y and Hooker CB.

To OP, I've seen these Dynomax VT mufflers, not sure if they're worth a sh*t or not, because the video I saw was from SEMA 2010, so there hasn't been a noticeable following since then. I'd add cats first. They usually help kill the rasp pretty damn well. Other options would be look into Hooker Aerochamber mufflers. They're quiet and they are some of the best flowing, as far as true mufflers. Resonators and stick "mufflers" don't really cut it with a cammed setup. I've got a TSP Rumbler CB on mine with SLP PowerFlo mufflers and it's still loud.

Not sure how loud this actually is, but it sounds like it has some nice tone.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cats will quiet it down more, take a look at the Magnaflow bullet spun cats. Id also get a different catback exhaust. Get one that has oval mufflers in the stock locations, they'll be quieter than the small bullet slp mufflers. The Magnaflow cat-back is supposedly fairly quiet.

Quick Reply: Help quieting down my Cammed LS3