General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My poor Sierra....Needs a engine! ls3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My poor Sierra....Needs a engine! ls3?

Hello all. I have been visiting this site for over a year for all the information and knowledge the members have. Great site! Glad I finally created a account.

I have a GMT900 2007 Sierra with a very tired 5.3 at only 100,000 miles. Last month I was towing a 2000 grand am gt home on a car haul trailer. The little "5.3 that could" used over 2 quarts of oil on a 200 mile high way drive. I was doing the speed limit (~60 mph) and it was a fairly flat road.

Now the engine has a knock and a tick that doesn't go away after the engine is warmed up anymore. I'm sure the lifters are done, and I would imagine the piston slap has ruined the bore on at least one cylinder. Starting to sound like the bottom end is screwed also. So I'm thinking it is time for a new engine...

I have been tossing the idea around of a 376/480 crate motor for a few months now because I knew my 5.3 was getting wore out. I want a motor with a decent amount of power, still be a great daily driver, have a decent warranty and not cost a huge amount of money. Seems the ls3 hot cam fits all these requirements.

Now for my questions

Will all my stock 5.3 accessories fit on to the ls3 with the stock 5.3 brackets?

Same wiring harness? "Plug and Play"?

What about fuel delivery and rails? Will the stock fuel pump be enough to feed a ls3? Same connections at fuel rails?

Basically I just want to know about any surprises I may run in to doing this swap. The truck can not be down for too long, so I want to get all the ducks in a row before starting the swap and going to a dyno shop.

Thanks a lot,
Owen

Last edited by ogg2001; 03-21-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: My poor Sierra....Needs a engine! ls3?