General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ls6 head question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls6 head question

I've been doing a slow build on my car Im 18 work part time play soccer and go to school so money is definitely a factor. My tranny has been rebuilt with better servos, hardened sun shell, rev kit, and shift kit it's good for 600 horse is what the shop told me so now my next question is I just bought a set of 799 casting heads with yellow springs I can't afford to get them ported right now but how much of a gain will I be losing I currently have purchased these parts Within the past year and am ready to install them

yank 3600 stall
Ls7 lifters
torquer v2 cam
single roller racing timing chain
high volume oil pump
Hardened push rods
Ls6 intake
Long tubes with cat less y pipe
Lid
Ported throttle body

What kind of 1/4 mile times and horse power should I be expecting, really kind of bummed I can't get the heads ported but better than stock I guess

Last edited by 98-camaroSS; 07-21-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Default Heads

I would wait until I was able to have the used Heads staged 2 before installing. I would have the Heads shaved for proper fitment. 799 Heads are very nice. I would try to use at least 918 Comp springs. Also try to get a better after-market lifter. This will let your motor perform better. It cost about $1k every time you drop that engine. Get it done right the 1st time and save money. My 2 cents.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely upgrade your springs those yellow springs won't do the job. Throws the heads on as they are you have them so use them. If you get everything installed and want more power then I'd get those heads ported. Good Luck OP
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave the heads until you can get them ported. The time, effort and money spent to swap the heads will be a waste. Gains will be minimal at best given the power to dollar ratio.

Put the cam in without removing the heads and swap the springs.

When you get the money to have them ported, you can swap everything over to them and enjoy the fact you didn't have to swap them twice.

Quick Reply: Ls6 head question