General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help planing my build... reliabile performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help planing my build... reliabile performance

Ok guys, really just trying to get some opinions on what combo to go with for my new build. I'm in the process of selling off my Clayton Racing LT1 setup and when thats done I plan to build an LS motor to replace it. So let me first start by saying I think my budgets going to be in the 6000 dollar range. My goal is to gear the build around my existing V-1 Vortech which i plan to buy RMCR brackets for.

My performance goals for the car are around 550-600 wheel while still being reliable and drivable. I want to build something I can run at the strip on friday night, take to the road course saturday, and turn around and drive to work monday morning. Maybe an all motor build would be better suited for what I'm trying to do too and that being said I'm open to any and all suggestions. If i go with an all motor setup and sell the blower/accesorys that boosts (no pun intended ) my budget probably another 1500-2000 bucks...

Reliablity is my number one concern. Im sick and tired of the fight this LT1 build has put up and I just want to wash my hands of it. Something thats not going to puke oil and have a new problem every week. I want something I can change the oil, check the fluids, and go.

As far as electronics go it would obviously be easier to stick with 24x stuff seeing as I already have the PCM and would like to retain stock gauges (my lt1 was a 24x conversion) but if you guys point me in the right direction im not opposed to the 58x stuff either, im just simply clueless and behind the times as ive been out of the LS game for far to long (although my messing with my C5 is starting to bring some of it back).

This car is mainly a street car that spends just as much time at car shows as it dose driving so I would like to keep it looking pretty too, so probably like to build around having a FAST intake or something comparable.

Cam I want an mildly agressive sound with maximum drivability

LS1/2/3/7/6/x or LQ4/9... dosent matter just so it meets the goals listed above. Im not even opposed to 5.3s.

Ill probably need to budget a new trans in too but I can wait on that for now. Mainly a motor platform is my main concern. If i go auto it has to have overdrive, if i go manual then t56 is a no brainer.

Just wanted to see what the general concensus is and get some ideas for what direction to best spend my money.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start out 550 to 600 wheel hp is not going to happen out of an NA motor that is not punched out to 427+. Anything is possible, but to be completely honest 6k is not going to get the job done on this unless you already have the required fuel system to support this.

You will be spending at least a grand on a junk yard motor. - If you planned on buying a new one you can multiply that by at least 4.
2k to 3K on a good set of heads with supporting valve train.
2K for intake,TB and MAF
500 for cam and gaskets.
5 to 600 for a dyno tune.

And there are plenty of other misc parts to complete the build.

I am not at all trying to discourage you by any means. Just speaking from experience that power comes with a hefty price.

To touch on the forced induction path, you run the risk of being very un-reliable and this will cost much more then you have budgeted as well. Speaking from experience
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well the 6k is a start up budget, not my full budget, I already have the fuel system to support it (granted i need to ditch the return) But we'll see. Talking to a few local builders about some already built setups for sale. LT1 junk isnt selling though so it may go back in for the time being.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Get yourself a cheap LQ9 iron block, and boost it. 550-600 rwhp will be no problem, and can be made very reliable
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten
well the 6k is a start up budget, not my full budget, I already have the fuel system to support it (granted i need to ditch the return) But we'll see. Talking to a few local builders about some already built setups for sale. LT1 junk isnt selling though so it may go back in for the time being.
If you do a boosted set up you will need the return line for a fuel pressure regulator that is boost referenced.

Right now im doing a JY Lq4 front mount turbo. I didn't have any of the supporting mods and am pushing about 7k. I did have the built trans and fuel pump. But that was about it. So if 6k is your starting point I would recommend going that route! It is a ton of work tho!

Quick Reply: Need help planing my build... reliabile performance