General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

another noob on f body engine removal! !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another noob on f body engine removal! !!!

I know there's threads on this but couldn't find it on search,
Anyway, I've got minor oil leaks on my 02 ls1 m6 ss, and I wanted to pull the motor to freshen it up, while I'm at it do a monster clutch!! Any body know the fastest and easiest way to remove the tranny and motor??? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old 01-09-2015, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone says the fastest way is out of the bottom, I have never done it but am going to try here in a couple months. Let me know if you need any help before then
Old 01-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

cool,ill post up some pics and info when i get started!!!
Old 01-10-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've pulled them through the top and bottom on these cars. Bottom is way easier. I've never used a lift to do it, just an engine hoist, floor jack, and jack stands. On my current Camaro, I went from a running LT1 to a running LS working by myself in one night going through the bottom.

My method:
I'm assuming common sense, basic mechanical ability, and your ability to not crush yourself or others during this procedure. I am simply stating the method I used and take no responsibility if you crush yourself or someone else or damage anything trying to emulate it. I'm also writing this from memory of the last time I did this. I'm also assuming you have an engine hoist with 2 long front legs and the crane arm can drop all the way down to the upright beam. I will be held harmless of any damages or injury associated with performing this procedure.

Put car on jack stands (front jack pads)
Chock rear wheels
Disconnect DS
Set E-brake
Disconnect battery, fuel lines, engine harness, coolant lines, brake booster lines, oil cooler, trans cooler, etc
Remove radiator upper support
Disconnect Trans mount
Remove front wheels
Disconnect ABS wires and brake lines
Disconnect steering shaft
Disconnect chin spoiler on radiator mount
Position 2 4 x 6 (approximately 2 ft long) wood blocks under either side of k-member and an additional 4 x 4 under trans tailshaft
Hook up engine hoist, apply slight tension (legs of hoist should be shorter than wood blocks under k-member 4 x 4 or 4 x 6 should work)
Remove k-member bolts
Remove lower control arm bolts
Lower k-member to wood blocks
Disconnect hoist from engine use hoist to lift car from radiator support. Adjust jack stands to follow. Lower radiator support should be higher than engine assembly.
Lower car onto jack stands
Slide engine hoist from under blocks. drop hoist arm all the way down to upright beam
Loop cargo strap from hoist hook around the back side of upright beam and through both motor mounts
Use hoist to pull the k-member off of the wood blocks and onto the legs of the crane (you may need to use a jack under the tailshaft of the trans so the trans doesn't drag, or let the wood drag with it)
Now your hoist is a dolly and the entire k-member w/ engine and trans is on it

Once again, I did this by myself, but another set of hands and eyes will help out. If it looks unsafe, don't do it. Also, my car was an automatic LT1, and I replaced it with an iron 6.0 and a TH400 (which involves the k-member being swapped as well).

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 01-10-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Thanx man , good info!!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Default Pulled with Trans?

On the F-bodies the engine and trans comes out as one piece, yes? Hopefully, not all ****-eyed like putting one in an FD RX7 where engine goes in from the top, trans comes up from the bottom :-/
Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JustinEntropyRad
On the F-bodies the engine and trans comes out as one piece, yes? Hopefully, not all ****-eyed like putting one in an FD RX7 where engine goes in from the top, trans comes up from the bottom :-/
It can, it can also come out in 2 pieces.

Quick Reply: another noob on f body engine removal! !!!