General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Starter keeps spinning with key out in Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter keeps spinning with key out in Ls1

I had my ls1 rebuilt a week.ago. I put a new Luk flywheel and clutch setup on. I also put a new starter.on from O'Reillys.

I pulled into the driveway after cruising around town a while. When I came out I tried to.start.it and it started spinning, but not engaging.

Then I tried again and it continued spinning without engaging even with the key out. I.had to get a socket out to unhook the battery to make it stop spinning. I plugged the battery back in and it still kept spinning with no key in.

What could be the problem? Is it a bad starter?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

sounds like the starter wires may have vibrated ad are touching each other completing the circuit. check the wires on the starter and reinstall. and the solenoid might be bad, or its not engaging the flywheel
Old 12-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The solenoid might be stuck. I'd just take it apart and polish the contacts, a different starter might do the same thing.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a defective reman starter. I took it back and got a brand new one. I put the new one on and it started first flick. Starts up fast as well.

With The reman starter, I had to hold the key down forever to get it to start. Apparently the solenoid was stuck and the bendix wasn't kicking in.

Quick Reply: Starter keeps spinning with key out in Ls1