General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Power Steering Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Replacement

I'm helping a buddy with his TA, and the PS pump whines pretty bad. Looking to replace it soon. I know there's a lot of threads out there discussing this topic, but I have yet to find one that lists the specific tools needed for this job.

I understand a pulley removal tool is required, but what else is needed to get the job done? Is a line wrench needed to unbolt the old pump?

Also, is removing the upper radiator hose required? It looks like it'll be directly in the way of removing the pulley.

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember exactly how I got it off. Once you get the pulley off it's pretty straight forward.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

yes,a pulley tool remover is required. 2 lines to disconnect from pump/reservoir,return line to reservoir and pump output pressure line. once pulley is out of the way possible an open end wrench will work but line wrench is best.
there are threads about using GM Dex 6 ATF to quiet pumps,I've done it. Some say 'there's no way I'm putting ATF fluid in the PS system'. Viscosity is the same,back in the 60s'/70s'(yes I'm old) you could go to an auto store and get containers marked 'fluid for Automatic transmission AND power steering'.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Replacement