General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dash Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Dash Pad Question

I need to replace my dash pad in my Bird. I have a good stock DP but I heard that someone now makes one that won't crack. I'm not talking about the 6LE Designs overlay, I was told this was an actual DP that replaces the stock piece.

Is this true, does someone make a true replacement for our DP? If so, I'd prefer it over the stock piece I have.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:19 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plastic Parts, Inc sells a new production dash pad. They are located in Florida. Phone # is 800-331-7081. The part is not listed on their website. I believe they list it on ebay under seller partsbyusa. AFAIK, it only comes in black. Believe they started selling it ~3 years ago. Fitment feedback from this forum is mixed. Not certain how they make it, but I suspect original, OEM equipment is not used.

This issue vexes me also. The OEM replacement currently on my vehicle cracked above 2 – mounting tabs after I installed it, while the vehicle was in storage in 2007 or 2008 IIRC. Never even got to drive the vehicle before it broke. I have an un-cracked used piece, but the seller broke all 4 – mounting tabs during removal. My 24xxx mileage 98 WS6 is in absolutely fantastic condition, and I want to sort out a couple small things, this being one of them, before I put it up for sale.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bsf
Plastic Parts, Inc sells a new production dash pad. They are located in Florida. Phone # is 800-331-7081. The part is not listed on their website. I believe they list it on ebay under seller partsbyusa. AFAIK, it only comes in black. Believe they started selling it ~3 years ago. Fitment feedback from this forum is mixed. Not certain how they make it, but I suspect original, OEM equipment is not used.

This issue vexes me also. The OEM replacement currently on my vehicle cracked above 2 – mounting tabs after I installed it, while the vehicle was in storage in 2007 or 2008 IIRC. Never even got to drive the vehicle before it broke. I have an un-cracked used piece, but the seller broke all 4 – mounting tabs during removal. My 24xxx mileage 98 WS6 is in absolutely fantastic condition, and I want to sort out a couple small things, this being one of them, before I put it up for sale.

The main reason the oem pads crack other than old age, sun light and being cheaply made is the metal clips on the four mounting tabs! They don't allow movement of the pad when it expands and contacts so it cracks at the weakest point! I cut off the metal clips leaving the plastic mounting tabs. The pad will sit well without the clips, you can use small pieces Velcro to hold it down. You can easily remove the pad without the fear of breaking it!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the info guys! I am going to try my OEM pad and see how that holds up. I wish more people bought this and posted pics... I am interested on how inconsistent the issues are.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

follow reply #3 and you won't have a problem.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:56 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I replaced my dashpad in 2007 or 2008 with a new, OEM unit, I considered fiberglassing the back of it before install for reinforcement. I do not know if it would have helped. If I were leaning towards keeping my car, I would likely do that with any OEM replacement.

Quick Reply: Dash Pad Question