General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2 part question on LS1 shortblock ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 part question on LS1 shortblock ?

my buddy just bought the ZL402 package from SLP and the matching "600 HP" head and cam package to go with it ....it seems nice and all but i dont know anything about it or anyone that has used this engine package...anyone know anything about it..hes going to run the FAST 90/90 and SLP longtube headers with ORY and a loudmouth (he likes loud cars apparently)...what kind of power is he looking at making with all the supporting boltons and a auto trans.....

ok part 2....hes now got a LS1 shortblock and set of heads that he is getting rid of....its got 100K + or - 5k on it and they have been tough miles...about 10 passes and lots of burnouts/doughnuts/rev limiter revs.....im thinking of buying both the heads and short block and having a nice H/C motor built while im in iraq for my next tour...how much do you think the motor and heads are worth and how much am i looking to spend to do a budget build LS1 and look at making around 400-450 hp......keep in mind i have a 02 WS6 with a low milage motor in it already....so all supporting parts that are missing i dont have to buy..just switch over....i want to keep the motor VERY streetable and if that means missing my hp numbers then so be it because i drive this car ALOT.....from FT campbell kentucky to Indianapolis IN about 2 times a month...around 280 miles a piece....gas mileage isnt really a concern as long as it isnt real bad....

so what do you all think
Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

block and heads...no more then a grand...stock and beat up...your going to be paying a large amount for parts and labor anyways
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

I might have missed something on question #2, but why not just save the money you would spend on the used block and heads and put it towards the low mileage motor you already have in your car?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

i THINK he said he wants to keep a stock motor also, but i could have missed that as well
Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

sorry for not making it clearer...i was on my way to bed when i wrote it....ive thought about putting a set of heads and a cam on my lower milage motor but there will be alot of downtime in that process....so i wanted to get this block and heads and have it worked and built to minimize the downtime....and then when all is said and done sell the lower mileage block and make back some of the money spent....another reason i wanted to buy this block is because i want to put forged bottom end parts in it so i can run a little bit of spray and not worry much about it ....and doing that to my motor that is in my car right now would kill me on downtime...

oh and keep in mind the motor would be sitting in my buddys garage he owns and he would be doing all the work himself for little to no cost on labor...

im sorry i am rambling i just woke up and im trying to touch all the bases i missed last night lol...i appreciate everyone that has put in there .02 thanks!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i still wouldnt pay over a 1000 for that motor...not with that many miles....

however in your favor breaking down, re-honing and polishing up the old block will make it ALMOST new...if its down time your worried about and money your not...then i guess you can go for it